Slc -> Sy/max Comms.

nico

AFTERNOON ALL,

I HAVE TWO OLDER MODEL MACHINES, BOTH OF WHICH ARE MADE BY THE SAME OEM BUT DIFFERENT YEAR MODELS AND WITH DIFFERENT PROCESSORS. ONE MACHINE HAS A SQUARE D MODEL 400 SERIES 8020 SY/MAX PROCESSOR AND THE OTHER A SLC 5/04 PROCESSOR. IS IT POSSIBLE TO COMMUNICATE BETWEEN THE TWO PROCESSORS WITHOUT A PROTOCOL CONVERTER, AND IF SO....HOW? IF IT'S NOT POSSIBLE WHICH CONVERTER AND OR SOFTWARE IS BEST SUITED FOR THIS TYPE OF APPLICATION AND WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO SETUP AND PASS COMMS. FROM ONE TO THE OTHER.

THANKS.
NICO MCLENNAN

Nico,

I have had this problem several times. The Square D will not communicate with the SLC-5/04. I don't think it is practical to install some type of converter. The best converter, unfortunately, is to buy you a SLC-5/03 and replace the old Square D unit. Print out the logic from the Square D program, then manually convert it to the RSLogix500 for the new SLC-5/03. Or maybe the same OEM program will work for both machines.

Just a thought:

Now that Square D is a part of Modicon (at least in Europe), I figure they have some kind of converter to Modbus?
www.prosoft-technology.com have a module (MVI46-MCM) for SLC that communicate Modbus.
AB also have a 5/03 RTU CPU in case you are not limited to use your 5/04