Micrologix 1400 with 4 encoders

Nigasai

Hi All,
I have some project coming in which I proposed to used a Micrologix 1400, the application is a very straight forward 4 motor running independently and stop to its given or SP Position. my concern is, I haven't done it before even in wiring the encoder going to the PLC. I've done lots of project but not this type of application. I need some help on the following area:

- What type of encoder which matches the ML1400 resulotion (brand and catalog number, low end should be okay)
- How to wire it to each individual channel I know it has 6 channel but i don't know where to wire it.
- then basic configuration in the Logix500 program regarding the HSC channeling.

Thanks you very much..

Cheers..

can't suggest a good encoder but http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1766-rm001_-en-p.pdf

from another thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=67535

samplecode.rockwellautomation...m001_-en-p.pdf

The I/O assigment is fixed, you do not have to allocate them.

All MicroLogix 1400, except the 1766-L32AWA and 1766_L32AWAA, have six
100kHz high-speed counters. There are three main high-speed counters (counter 0,
1, 2) and three sub high speed counters (counter 3, 4, 5). Each main high-speed
counter has four dedicated inputs and each sub high-speed counter has two
dedicated inputs.

HSC0 utilizes inputs 0…3( I;0/0 - I;0/3)
HSC1 utilizes inputs 4…7,
HSC2 utilizes inputs 8…11,
HSC3 utilizes inputs 2 and 3,
HSC4 utilizes inputs 6 and 7
HSC5 utilizes inputs 10 and 11.

In some cases, a sub counter will be disabled
by master counter mode
. See the section HSC Mode (MOD) on page 94.

which means you might need an hsc module for the 4th motor(no HSC module for Mlx 1400 right?). just use SCP in Rs500, HSC.0.ACC as input

dont forget to change filter settings in I/O config> adv.config > embedded IO config >input filter so that your encoder will count

Last edited:
Thanks mike.. I've been reading the manual often times but very confuse on how the 4th to 6th encoder can work, they share same terminal with the 1st or so called master.. one question also if somebody can answer .. the ML1400 input can either be Sinking(NPN) or Sourcing (PNP) input, just got to clarify as I dont read it in the manual.. last question if I used a 50Khz encoder to ML1400 which is 100Khz can it be done?.. whats the effect..

- if the 4th encoder cannot work its a disaster, because there is no HSC expansion module for 1762 or 1762-HSC.. Die lah!!

Cheers..

Last edited:
if it depends on the HSC mode, you can only have 2 input-modes, no HOLD and reset bit(3rd and 4th input for master). You need to adjust the filter setting depending on encoder frequency, as said in the manual or else the PLC will give wrong reading/count.

The main high-speed counters support 10 types of operation mode and the sub high-speed counters support 5 types (mode 0, 2, 4, 6, 8). If the main high-speed counter is set to mode 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9, then belong the sub high-speed counter will be disabled

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have some project coming in which I proposed to used a Micrologix 1400, the application is a very straight forward 4 motor running independently and stop to its given or SP Position. my concern is, I haven't done it before even in wiring the encoder going to the PLC. I've done lots of project but not this type of application. I need some help on the following area:

- What type of encoder which matches the ML1400 resulotion (brand and catalog number, low end should be okay)
- How to wire it to each individual channel I know it has 6 channel but i don't know where to wire it.
- then basic configuration in the Logix500 program regarding the HSC channeling.

Thanks you very much..

Cheers..

Great info was posted about the encoders, but my question is will you be needing Incremental or Absolute?

Incremental you will loose your position when powered off and you will need to re-home sequence on power up. These can be used with the your ML1200

Absolute encoders come in 2 different packages. 1. the Gray scale/BCD types and 2. SSI which are the latest. The first choices require around 10 inputs depending on your PPRs and will also work well with your ML1200. The SSI's are a totally different animal and require a much more advanced PLC like a Compactlogix etc.

Good luck.

****NEVER MIND I AM KNEW AND JUST SAW THE POST DATE OF 2012.****