cip protocol

Jeff23spl

Hello

His any of you know what it's that exactly? ''Common Industrial Protocol (CIP)''

When i google it, it brings me to Allen Bradley website but i would like to figure out if it is an opc server to communicate with AB and a scada ?

If yes, is this protocol working with RS500 with micrologix or i need at least compact with RS5000

Go to www.odva.org for information about the various components of these communication protocols.

The CIP are defined methods for communication among various types of equipment using various types of networks.

When you go to the ODVA website you will find the CIP protocols listed are Device Net, Ethernet IP, CompoNet and Control Net.
These protocols are used in varying degrees by most PLC manufacturers.

When you go to the ODVA website you will find the CIP protocols listed are Device Net, Ethernet IP, CompoNet and Control Net.
These protocols are used in varying degrees by most PLC manufacturers.

It looks like to be very AB oriented since it was devellopped by rockwell with rockwell most popular protocols...

To use it with other brand would probably require a gateway or a special module

Other manufacturers do make units which, they say, comply with the CIP definitions for their type of communication. CIP is now independent of AB and is managed by ODVA and, to say that a particular implementation exactly complies requires extensive, and expensive, compliance testing.

A little further information - Device Net is really modified Can Bus. AB developed it to allow more than one master - Can Bus only allows 1 master. The protocol was then thrown open and is managed by ODVA (Open Device Net Vendors Association originally). Many people manufacture Device Net equipment - have a look at the list of manufacturers and equipment and you may be quite surprised. It is an open protocol.

I am not aware of the origins of Ethernet IP but once again it is managed by ODVA and the list of manufacturers is very extensive. Once again it is an open protocol.

CompoNet was developed by Omron and thrown open and is also an open protocol. There are a number of manufacturers that make CompoNet equipment but the main manufacturer is Omron. That to me is a great shame as while it can only have one master it is half the price of Device Net and does not suffer from having to have special cable, sensitive about power supplies and voltage drops, is much faster and is token ring based so does not suffer from data crashes or any of those nasty things. Runs on a standard twisted pair at a very rapid exchange rate (twisted pair over 30 metres 1000 I/O updates in about 1 millisecond - really fast) and can be configured in some quite complex ways, unlike Device Net. It also has explicit messaging capabilities but I am unaware of any company that has implemented it yet. It is my very favorite remote I/O network and is no fuss - just works really well.

To me Device Net is too expensive and fiddly, Ethernet IP suffers from the same problems as all Ethernet networks with crashing data unless managed switches are used, IT want to own it and make absolute pains in the 'A' of themselves. CompoNet rules for remote I/O in my book.