FactoryTalk View Parameter File Usage

pgtownsyou

I am having an issue trying to get these parameter files to work as I want to. I have a number of valves displayed on one screen. To make things simple lets say I want to display information from tags that named [CRL]Valve1 and [CRL]Valve2.

Now in my parameter file, I would like to have
#1 = [CRL]Valve

I am not sure how to make use of this in the screen.

I have tried making my expressions as follows:

#11, #12
(#1)1, (#1)2
[#1]1, [#1]2

But I can't get any of these to work to get information from the tags [CRL]Valve1 and [CRL]Valve2. There must be some sort of syntax for making this work?

Thank for your help!

The parameter file basically is another step for tags.

So, RSLogix#### tag -> FactoryTalk tag -> Parameter file -> screen reference.

The parameter number just goes where the tag use to go. So start with setting the screen up to work as it would before using a parameter file.

After the display works like you want it.

You will replace the tag(s) with the # in the parameter file, then make sure when you open that screen/display it calls the correct parameter file. The parameter file called will replace the # with the correct tag (or the one you have listed in the file).

Note - Parameter file is not helpful in less you have a lot of information being displayed in the same way (but using different displays). Then you just call new parameter files instead of having a lot of displays.

Also, look over the user manual that is in the factory talk install.

I understand how parameter files work, my problem is that the part of the tag that follows the #1 is another number, so it comes out looking like #11, as discussed in the op, and then it comes up with an error.

Post what you are using it in.

As in how you did it to begin with (without parm file) and got it to work and then how you want to do it. I think you are doing it wrong.

I assume you are using it as an expression? Because what you have listed doesn't look like it would work even with a tag.

EDIT-
Here is text with a tag. (ORIGINAL)
Data Raw: /*N:6 {BATH\NAME\FIFO\DATA_RAW} NOFILL DP:0*/
Here is text with a parm.
Data Raw: /*N:6 #55 NOFILL DP:0*/

The end result will look the same.

Last edited:
I have a small popup screen that will be used to show information for Valves, and Pumps

I have base tags that are named "Valve1", "Valve2", "Pump1" and "Pump2"

I want to use one screen with 2 parameter files to show information for either valves or pumps, depending on if the "valve goto display" button is pressed, or the "pump goto display" button is pressed.

The Valve parameter file looks as follows:
#1 = Valve

The Pump parameter file looks as follows:
#1 = Pump

However, when I try to incorporate this into the display, it of course comes up looking something like #11 (For Valve1 or Pump1) and #12 (For Valve2 and Pump2) and it errors out because i think it is looking for parameter number eleven rather than replacing #1 with Pump and leaving 1 on the end to make it Pump1. I hope this makes sense, thanks for your help.

Also, I realize there are other ways to make this work, but I am curious if there is a syntax to make it work in this manner.

Ok, so you have a new screen pop-up.

What is on the new screen? Is it a text box, multistate indicator or what?

You have to remember the parameter file just takes the place of the tag so in the text box you still have to do the insert variable option.

Example: (I assume the value and pump are actually numbers, if not you need to insert string or try the string display options.)

/*N:3 #55 NOFILL DP:0*/1 -> ###1 (This doesn't look right.)
/*N:3 #55 NOFILL DP:0*/ Pump 1 -> ### Pump 1 (Looks better.)

I am using multistate indicators.

I will try to explain this again in more depth. There are 2 states that I want to display - "On" and "Off".

The tags that will trigger these states will be:

Valve1.On
Valve1.Off
Valve2.On
Valve2.Off
Pump1.On
Pump1.Off
Pump2.On
Pump2.Off

So, as I had mentioned, my parameter files are set up as follows:

Valve Parameter File:
#1 = Valve

Pump Parameter File:
#1 = Pump

So, when I try to enter these tags into the multi state indicator's connection's tab, it ends up looking like this:

{#11.On} + (2 * {#11.Off}) (because #1 should be replaced with "Valve" creating "{Valve1.On} + (2 * {Valve1.Off})"

However this does not work, and I believe it is because it is looking for parameter number ELEVEN, rather than just replacing the #1 and leaving the 2nd "1" alone to make my tag. Hopefully this makes sense.

In a parameter file, I have a couple of entries

#1={::[PLC_Name]CCM01TC01}
#2=PID\CCM01TC01
#3=Temp

#1 is directly reference the PLC, whereas 2&3 are directing to the Tag database.

In the PID popup, I have {#1.Desc} that references [PLC_Name]CCM01TC01.Desc}
This is fine for variable display, for animation that required limits I used the Tag database.
{#2_PV}
CCM01TC01_PV is configured in the database, so when the parameter file is called, ir replaces #2 with CCM01TC01.

#3 is used for the units display
/*S:0 #3*/ . This is a Text display, where #3 is replaced with the value in the initial value of the Temp tag.

I hope this helps..

I wonder if you can maybe add a '_' to your valve tag..?

Last edited:
Sorry, I typed that out too quick, I should have said the Parameter files look as follows:

Valve Parameter File:
#1 = [CRL]Valve

Pump Parameter File:
#1 = [CRL]Pump

Adding a "_" to the tags would work, but I am wondering if there is a way to make it work as is. Thanks!

Add more of the the tag in the parameter file. Example

Valve Parameter File:
#1 = [CRL]Valve1

Popup Value:
{#1.On} + (2 * {#1.Off}) (because #1 should be replaced with "Valve1" creating "{Valve1.On} + (2 * {Valve1.Off})"

Is there a way to use this with constants?
I have made my popup work fine with Auto/Off/Man etc
I use
#1-[plc]Valve1
#2-{#1.open}
#3-{#1.close}
etc as my tags and make this in my parameter.

but to extend on this I am trying to have a String display and then have the Text I want to show in the string just show up in the parameter file kind of as a constant.

Is this possible or would that be too difficult I would like to do this with numeric displays have a figure(profibus node address) and just list it as a constant rather than indirect addressing to a PLC location.

Still Experiencing This Issue

Hey All,

I am running into the same thing. Wondering if a solution was ever found other than changing tag names? I have a parameter number #1 for example immediately followed by another digit (non-character) and it won't work.