Markem-Imaje EtherNet communications

bostedtm

I am trying to implement EtherNet communications between a Markem-Imaje laser printer and an AB ControlLogix PLC. I have an EWEB module and am attempting to use sockets, but the information from Markem is confusing at best. Has anyone implemented these communications before?

Sorry I can't help. I am about to start the same process to select message formats from a contrologix processor. Your post was a long time ago. How did you go with this process?

NOTE: This is for NextGen Markem printers only using NGPCL.

It's quite straightforward.
You send an ASCII string to the printer and you'll receive one back.
String looks something like:
STX|*command to printer*|*parameters for command*|ETX

Response looks something like:
STX|*reply*|*parameters (if possible)*|ETX

Note the usage of "|"

Example of string to select a job:

STX|~JS|*name of layout/job*|ETX

~JS is command for Job Select.

Example of job update:
(values update which it needs to print)

STX|~JU1|*Job name*|0|*parameter name*|*parameter value*|...|ETX

You can add several parameters as long as the packet does not exceed the transfer byte limit. Don't know the limit by heart though.

If you want, I can PM you the NGPCL user guide.
Explains ethernet comms to NextGen markem printers.

Hi guys,

I´m trying to do a VB.Net program to communicate a PC with a NextGen Markem Printer using NGPCL but I am having problems.

I want to have a Ethernet communication with the printer so in my program, I connect with the printer using a socket ( I have to indicate the IP of the printer and the port number(in the protocol says it´s 21000). The connection is right and now I have to send the commands but here is the problem.

I send, for example, STX|~VR|ETX to request the printer´s firmware but anything is response by the printer...

I don´t know what I am doing wrong... and I am tired to read the protocol NGPCL...

Can you help me please? Thanks you!

Markem Printer

i am interesting with NGPCL user guide because i need to send data from plc to markem printer. Please send NGPCL user to my email in [email protected]

If you want, I can PM you the NGPCL user guide.
Explains ethernet comms to NextGen markem printers.[/quote]

NGPCL protocol

Hello,
Somebody is working with NGPCL protocol via ethernet port?
Or who can guide me with the port protocol, I did tests with http, connecting good, sending ok, not receiving.
Thank you

I can work with both NGPCL and DCP protocol via ethernet port. Both are easy. What do you need? Can you write in detail please? I can help you.

I can work with both NGPCL and DCP protocol via ethernet port. Both are easy. What do you need? Can you write in detail please? I can help you. (Which program are you using? (for receiving data from MI))

Hi vvahidoglu,
I'm so happy receiving your answer, I have been investigating and searching every where, even with the creators of this ngpcl protocol.
I'm using a PC not a plc. but i believe that the way to have a fluid communication with the printer is the same.
by the http protocol i can get connected, but nothing is comming back from the printer. Actually I'm using a compatible driver which is letting me to send an image file with a EAN13 and some text.
I know this is not enough information, I will refresh my information because this happend one year ago. Please, believe me, I really need your help to resolve this project, my goal is to build an own software which can communicate with the printer by it self. I promise to you I will reach it, and make justice with your help. How we will keep in contact? by this forum? or by email?
Thank you very very much.

Hi, Hugo.
OK. You can write your own program to communicate with the printer. And you don't need any driver to do this. Because you'll use tcp/ip protocol. And let me say you, sending image file and EAN13 barcode are different. i.ei sending EAN13 barcode looks like a text, not an image. My email is vvahidoglu_at_gmail_dot_com. You can write directly to my email, what you want to do? I can send you a program codes.
Sincerely

Hi, I'm also about to attempt a similar project. Does anyone here happen to have the NGPCL user guide that Jeebs mentioned and would be willing to PM it to me?

Thanks in advance.

I am working on an interface to several printers. I can't find the ngpcl document, is it possible to PM a copy?