RSLogix 500 tag highlight yellow instead of green

GlennA

I am adding sequencers SQO to a program, and I noticed one of the control word tags R6:7 was highlighted in yellow instead of green. When I checked the manual I found that control words take 3 words total. I am assuming that I overlapped control words by not spacing them properly - after spacing the control words out the highlight is now green. BUT before the spacing-out the project verified without any errors. Can someone please confirm or correct my assumption ?

I am adding sequencers SQO to a program, and I noticed one of the control word tags R6:7 was highlighted in yellow instead of green.

The default highlight color for symbol names is green. The default highlight color for descriptions is yellow.

The default color for power rails and rungs that are "true" is green.

I suspect you were looking at a symbol name assigned to one address and a description assigned to another.

GlennA said:
When I checked the manual I found that control words take 3 words total.

A control element does take three 16 bit words of data, however they don't overlap. R6:0 takes 48 bits, R6:1 takes the next 48 bits, etc. There are instructions that require more than one control word element. Each SQO instruction only requires a single control "element", and by element I mean a structure including all three 16-bit words. Depending on the application, adding an SQO in parallel to get more bits per step, would mean that you use the same, existing control element which is already in use. Of course if you are adding a whole new sequencer, you will want a unique control element for it.

GlennA said:
I am assuming that I overlapped control words by not spacing them properly - after spacing the control words out the highlight is now green. BUT before the spacing-out the project verified without any errors. Can someone please confirm or correct my assumption ?

If you skipped over control element addresses in order to leave gaps and that affected the color of the highlight of the logic...I guess I would have to see the code or a screenshot or two to understand.

If you use the Usage button on a data table window, it will tell you which elements are free and which are used. If you look at each row, you will see all three "words" on each line: first will be the important bits, next will be the length word, and finally the position word. So R6:0 is already three words, and does not overlap R6:1 or R6:2.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Description vs symbol
I found that I had put the text in the description field instead of in the symbol field. Up to then I had been using the symbols field only.