Can't Go Online As Program Does Not Match

Tim Ganz

In RS Logix 5 and 500 we have several laptops in the electricians shop and when you go try to go online your program does not match and you have to upload and move comments to your uploaded program and it take a lot of time.

How can we combat this? We have 6 different laptops in our shop.

You shouldn't have to manually merge comments.
Logix 5 and 500 have a similar feature to automatically upload and merge comments if you tell the program where the existing program file is.

Otherwise, make sure you are working with the latest program file. Maybe use a network share or portable HDD to share the program files between computers.

Have you tried to Upload from the PLC that way you have the most up to date file.

I always upload from the plc when what I have does not match and thats when I have to import the database. I see the upload and merge button but it is grayed out. I don't understand why it is grayed out and how to make it work.

My standard practice, unless I was sure that I was the last one working on a program, before doing anything else was to upload from the PLC and save it as a new file with AS FOUND MM DD YY in the title (abbreviated as necessary in the old 8 character DOS days). Then, no matter what, I could reload it and know I hadn't made things worse anyway. Only then would I get my version from daed disk and re-coonect.

Do you know who the last person was to use the PLC was. Id try and get the file from that computer, and then tr to connect to the PLC

I see the upload and merge button but it is grayed out. I don't understand why it is grayed out and how to make it work.

when THAT happens, it's USUALLY because no "even close" RSS file is located in the default directory that the RSLogix software is looking into ...

if you'll keep the matching (or at least the "best guess") RSS files stored in the software's default directory path, then the "Upload Use File" button will USUALLY pop up and allow a much quicker "go online" experience ...

note that the buttons look different from RSLogix5 and RSLogix500 – but they do the same thing ...

I see the upload and merge button but it is grayed out. I don't understand why it is grayed out and how to make it work.

You should still be able to browse to find an older program file on that computer. Once you find a program file that is close enough, one that matches the processor type and program name, the upload and merge button can be used.

Five easy steps

1. Click Browse
  2. Browse to the location of the file
  3. Click OK
  4. Select file from list (RSLoigx will try and guess which file is correct and most of the time it guesses right, but if it does guess wrong you can pick the correct one)
  5. Click Upload Use File.

This will continue to be a necessity until you deal with the root problem, namely, having different copies of the program file on different computers. I suggest you move the files to a network server and put in a secure wireless router. On the server you keep two folders, a working folder and a backup folder. Limit access to the backup folder to whoever has administrative responsibility to control changes. With a network folder you can map a drive letter so that you can browse directly to the working folder by selecting the drive. We map letters G and H depending on machinery class and then keep each PLC program in its own sub-folder.

FiveEasySteps.jpg

Last edited:
when THAT happens, it's USUALLY because no "even close" RSS file is located in the default directory that the RSLogix software is looking into ...

if you'll keep the matching (or at least the "best guess") RSS files stored in the software's default directory path, then the "Upload Use File" button will USUALLY pop up and allow a much quicker "go online" experience ...

note that the buttons look different from RSLogix5 and RSLogix500 – but they do the same thing ...

They keep the program here like this

Mydocument\plant automation

Plant automtion folder will have stamp1,stamp 2,chem treat 1,chem treat 2,etc

Then under stamp1 for example there will be 30-40 folders that are name stamp 1 05_4_2012, stamp 1 04_15_2012,etc and in each one of these will be the plc program,panelview program,prints,manuals,etc. This is done for a revision history.

How could I make this merge work with this kind of setup. we run a sync program once a month to sync all these laptops my documents folders together

The cheapest and easiest way to combat this put the files on a shared network drive so everyone has access to the same file. Logix will let you know if someone else has the file open so two people can't edit the file at the same time. This works really well if you have reliable wifi available at all your equipment. This is what we do at our plant, and it works well for the few engineers and maintenance guys that do PLC work.

However, if you go this route, be sure to make backups every so often somewhere. Don't want someone to accidentally delete all your PLC programs.

Beyond the folder issue......

One other unlikely scenario, if you are using the original PLC-5 processors you will always get this message and there is no workaround.

The PLC-5/10, 5/12, 5/15 and 5/25 processors do not calculate a program checksum, so the offline file checksum never matches the online checksum. That triggers the upload requirement.

OG

The "projectname.RSP" file contains both an online and offline image.
Before exiting RSLogix, any time on any computer, WHEN ONLINE, perform
a SAVE, which will upload the processor program into the online project
file and synchronize the instruction comments, symbols, etc. with the
offline project file. You would need to immediately synchronize all
other computers to this new file everytime someone goes online (and
saves it before exiting). In the future, only open and go online with
this saved, synchronized, offline project file.

Tim we made a folder for old files. I moved all the old versions to this folder. Then the electricians only had a folder for CURRENT info.

In the folder we had sub-folders like you press 1,2,3,etc. the guys had to select the correct folder. Once a month I would do data backup and relocate the old files to the HISTORY folder.

They keep the program here like this

How could I make this merge work with this kind of setup. we run a sync program once a month to sync all these laptops my documents folders together

This is a management/discipline problem. Anyone who touches the PLC code MUST immediately place it in a repository where EVERYONE (who requires) has access (network drive, shard hard drive...etc). Anyone who is going to touch the PLC MUST get the latest code from "repository" first!

People who don't manage their programs cause the issue for others.