Micrologix 1000 to Windows 7 Laptop communication

Chaos1ao

Hi All,
I thought I would post my recent experience with connecting an Allen-Bradley Micrologix 1000 to a Windows 7 (32 bit) running laptop. Ultimately it turned out that it was my USB to RS232 adaptor that was the problem, but I thought I would share the symptoms in case it is helpful to someone else out there.
For connection I am using RSLinx classic revision 2.58.00.15 CPR 9 SR 4 and RSLogix 500 revision 8.40.00 (CPR 9) with a 1746-CBL-PM02 Ser C PC to Micrologix cable. When I tried setting up the RSLinx connection with the adaptor in the mix I would get an error saying “could not detect baud rate or parity. Check cables and connections” in the BCC error checking mode. In the CRC error checking mode, it would often pick up a baud rate and parity, but would simply never finish. When I tried for a direct manual setup, it would say that it was running but it could not find node 1. Also, when I tried to go online with this setup I would get the “Diagnostic status failed: 0x4” error.
In looking through the various posts on here and trying different things, I noticed that the docking station for the laptop I am using had the connection I needed for the RS232. I took out the USB adaptor, hooked the cable direct, deleted my previous connection, started a new RS232 connection with the automatic name, used COM 1 and SLC-CHO/Micro/PanelView device option and Auto-Configure did the rest.
I was trying a Belkin Serial Adapter P/N F5U257. In the past these had been used in the PLC classes at my college to adapt to USB ports, so there is a chance this adaptor will work with a standard SLC 50/x processor, but it did not work with the Micrologix 1000 system I am working with at the moment. If I find out down the road that this adaptor will work with the SLC processors I will pass that along. When I took Ron Beaufort’s PLC boot camp he used a KEYSPAN P/N USA-19HS for USB connection and said that it had always worked for him as long as the software was installed on the computer system. For those interested, the KEYSPAN adaptors are running about 27$ on Amazon and Ebay.
I hope someone finds this helpful!
Keith

Did you go to your Device Manager in Windows and see what your COM port was for your USB device? It changes depending on what USB port you plug it into and can be rather arbitrary on which COM port it is. The Belkin adapter should have worked if it was set up correctly.

I did. I confirmed it was on com port 4 and changed it in RSLinx. It took windows a while to find the software for the adaptor, so it could be that windows 7 doesn't play well with the Belkin adaptor if it normally works correctly.

I have as of yet to try it with a regular SLC processor.