Finding whats what N7:,N9:,N11: etc..

showshocka

Hello. I'm currently working in a palletizer project that has missing patterns. i see where a cmp instruction comes true by way of N7:150=50 to make an OTE bit true, once the OTE is true then that particular pattern # is loaded and run. For the same palletizer some commands to make other cmp instructions true for other pattern# comes from address N7:50=*. what i thought was at the command console that the operators use to select what # pattern they want to run through a digital display was the N7: location. When i examined the console to see if i could see pattern info there were no ports/plugs to where data comms could be plugged, so the operators console could not be the N7: location. Now, in the palletizer project i see that it is various integer addresses. If i didn't have a physical list or legend of where and what all these different integer devices were how would in know? My question is how could i find out exactly what the integer PLC's/devices are, for example; N7,N9,N10,N11...that's four devices that i have no clue what or where they are. The data being loaded to the pallettizer PLC5 is not coming from the operators console but being selected by the console but being loaded from some other PLC/device else where.

Last edited:
What is the operator console? An HMI of some sort or just a console with push buttons and indicators?

The N7, N9, N10, N11 are all just data files, not external devices. They can have comments added to tell you what they are. If you have a fresh upload with no comments, then you will have to study the program and try to find out what the addresses represent and comment them yourself.

N7, N9, N10, N11 could be populated by a communication block.

The data could come from an external source.

Right click on N7 and select "find all" then go through each result.

I worked on simalar palletizer (a few years back) and if I remember correctly the N10 and N11 files were where the patterns were hard coded. The N7 files were used to run patterns. I believe there was some indirect addressing used to populate N7 files according to pattern chosen.

What is the operator console?
it is a unit with a display box that shows what the operator has selected by way of many many selectors and push buttons, which i can see those logically being selected in the plc project for the palletizer. even when they select a new pattern, the cmp comes true and it is the first instruction in the rung, not a XIC or XIO :confused:

when i right clic on the cmp instruction or the integer it doesn't give me those usual options menu

Go to the register table in the project tree on the left.

You should find all the Ns there. Right click on the N you want to find there, select find all.

I worked on simalar palletizer (a few years back) and if I remember correctly the N10 and N11 files were where the patterns were hard coded. The N7 files were used to run patterns. I believe there was some indirect addressing used to populate N7 files according to pattern chosen.
From a little of what Tharon explained to do, it looks like my N10 is the code for the operators display, N11 seems to be Pattern control info, N12 is A and B Modules Rake Info, in which i have named then that from going though and looking at the code, they weren't labeled at first. Does info ring a bell?

Have you looked for a move or copy command?

when running multiple programs on a machine with similar operations, the program is set up as you are describing.
a set of switches or pushbuttons controls the program by directing the copy or move command to move data into the working registers for the program operation sequence.

regards,
james

Have you looked for a move or copy command?
regards,
james
A good point! Now that I have looked through the project again, the only integers that are in it as MOV sources are N12 and N17. So is that safe to say that now I actually have at least 2 outside processors sending info the PLC?