converting analog voltage module to current module

kamalice

hi friends,

my friends told that conversion of analog voltage module to current module is possible using connecting resistors in inputs. is it possible??? if possible means what is the valve of resistors.

Your post isn't clear whether you are talking about an analog input module or an analog output module.

If it is an analog voltage input module and you have a 4 - 20 mA signal, using Ohm's law for the calculation shows that a 4 mA current through a 250 ohm resistor produces a 1 volt potential (voltage) difference across the resistor. A 20 mA current through the same resistor produces a 5 volt potential difference. Since most analog voltage input modules are set up for 1 0 - 10 volt range, the 250 ohm resistor only uses half of the available resolution of the module.

If the 4 - 20 ma transmitter can support the burden, use a 500 ohm resistor to give you a 2 - 8 volt range.

Your post isn't clear whether you are talking about an analog input module or an analog output module.

If it is an analog voltage input module and you have a 4 - 20 mA signal, using Ohm's law for the calculation shows that a 4 mA current through a 250 ohm resistor produces a 1 volt potential (voltage) difference across the resistor. A 20 mA current through the same resistor produces a 5 volt potential difference. Since most analog voltage input modules are set up for 1 0 - 10 volt range, the 250 ohm resistor only uses half of the available resolution of the module.

If the 4 - 20 ma transmitter can support the burden, use a 500 ohm resistor to give you a 2 - 8 volt range.

thanks for ur reply. i mention analog input module only

Steve, you are correct but I think he wants to convert 0-10Vdc to (0)4-20mA.
In this case he needs to buy a converter, I think.

2-10V range. if input is 0-20, adding the 500ohm resister will give you 0-10V.

Most 4-20mA driver circuits can suffer the burden, since {most} are designed to be able to drive the current through more than one (sometimes 3 or 4) "receivers", eg. a PLC analog input and an in-line meter, or chart recorder. The specs for the particular device must be checked.

And 4-20mA through a 500 ohm load gives you 2 - 10V, not 2 - 8V.

daba is right for a 4-20mA device connected to a 0-10v input with a 500ohms, you just need to scale it by first substracting the 2volts = to 4ma for broken wires....
but converting a 0-10v signal from a device to connect to a 0-20mA card isn't good with resistors because the reading would change with wire lenght and connection tightening. I could work if it is for an home project or class for 1 time show but in the industry you must use a converter to avoid serious troubles
You would need to take into account wire