RADES Modem

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
I'm trying to make a connection with a remote PLC using the Allen Bradley 9300-RADES modem on both sides.
My problem right now is that my laptop does not detect the RADES as a modem when I try to create a dial-up connection in Windows 7.
Any ideas?

Thank you!

This goes back aways in time, so I'm foggy on details.
As I remember, I thought the RADES was telephone (RJ-11) on one side, ethernet on the other. I don't recall that it was a serial to telephone modem (I could be wrong, it was a long time ago)

Presuming that the RADES is connected to a LAN on its ethernet side, wouldn't you talk to it by dialing it up a telephone modem (serial to phone) connected to your PC serial port, through the phone network?

I can with some certainty that we've had the same issue with 7, but no problems with XP.
Just to double check:

• Do I need to install any driver?
  • In Windows 7, I do this:
    • Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Set up a new connection or network
    • Set up a dial-up connection. Here's where the message "Windows could not detect a dial-up modem". Even if I set-up the connection anyway, the connection does not work.

Hello all,
I'm trying to make a connection with a remote PLC using the Allen Bradley 9300-RADES modem on both sides.
My problem right now is that my laptop does not detect the RADES as a modem when I try to create a dial-up connection in Windows 7.
Any ideas?

Thank you!

Sorry but your post does not make sense. What do you mean your computer does not detect the RADES as a modem? It's not supposed to. You are dial into it from your computer just like any other modem to modem connection.

Check you computer modem and make sure it is working. Do you have a dialup internet account to test with perhaps.

make sure you number dialing is correct area code,country code,etc. Can someone test the system onthe plc end for dial tone? Are you trying to do direct connect or callback?

I think we abandoned trying to get it to work with 7. We opted to set it up in XP instead, but I'd start with a good 7 driver and see what you can get done.

What do you mean with a "good 7 driver"?

Does your win 7 machine have a dial up modem?

Is it listed in device manager?

What brand is it?

The list is something like this:
Standard 300 bps modem
Standard 1200 bps modem
Standard 56000 bps modem
Standard PCMCIA Card modem

At this point, if I cannot use the RADES with Windows 7, I will start looking at other modem options...any recommendations?

I think there's some confusion about how the 9300-RADES is supposed to work.

It does itself not "appear as a modem" to any operating system.

Usually you use a built-in modem in your PC to connect to an analog phone line, that in turn connects to the modem of the 9300-RADES over the switched public phone network. The RADES establishes a Dial-Up PPP connection with your PC that allows your PC to get an IP adress on the RADES's Ethernet side.

In your application, it sounds like you want to do this backwards: You want to connect to the RADES over Ethernet and have it dial out, to create a PPP connection with some other device.

What's the other device ?

Yes, I was afraid something basic was missing. Discharge: I was used to need 2 RADKIT modems to connect to a remote PLC (one for the remote PLC, one for my computer).
So my connection was not exactly backwards, but I was adding an unnecessary RADES in the loop...
Now I'm facing another problem...my laptop does not have a telephone port.o_O

Because dialup network connectivity is vanishing from the industry, most laptop PCs omit the once-common dialup modem.

USB dialup modems are very inexpensive. I would get a USRobotics if it were my application.

Last edited:
I try not to buy the cheapest device if I can. Do the usual Amazon and Google searches for reviews and check the device website for a Windows 7 driver before buying.