Math conundrum

Most of us like mathematical problems.

What is the answer to this:

A mathematician finishes a large meal and says: √(-1/64)

He tried to say exactly the same thing about the electrical engineer who ate with him, but it wouldn't come out the same.

You can have the credit. Honestly, I wouldn't have got it if your answer hadn't been there. It was way too early for me and imaginary numbers.

Can someone show the working out for this?

It's way beyond my maths level but would be interested in learning how (and where) the 'i' pops up.

Its actually VERY easy to work.

To take the square root of a fraction, you just take the root of the top and the bottom.

sqrt(-1) = i (or if you are an Electrical Engineer its j since i is used for current). That is just a rule you have to remember.

sqrt(64) = 8.

Therefore: sqrt(-1/64) = i / 8.

√-1 = i

Or that's what I remember from my math classes over a decade ago.

Edit: Sniped, dam net going wonky....:D