S5 95-u siemens

the S5 was originally the TI plc and is no longer supported.
Depending on your system requirements Any (S7-200 or S7-300 or S7-400)
is the replacement - But the Software is not compattable.
If you are replacing this it is basically your choice.
you can use other brands.

The S5-94U has:

16 inputs
16 outputs
8 analog 1
1 analog out
2 fast counterinputs
and
4 interrupt inputs

if I remember this correct.

How much of all of this do you use?

I think Ian mistook the PLC type because Robertson didnt put in the "-" in the middle. An S5-95U PLC is like ivo wrote, a small brick S5 PLC with lots of integrated i/o.

The S7 PLC that most directly reminds of an S5-95U is the 313C.
The 313C is a brick PLC with lots of integrated i/o.
24DI, 16DO, 5AI and 2AO. And some of the inputs have counter and/or interrupt functionality.

However, there are two alternatives I would like to mention:
314C-2PN/DP. Has the same i/o as 313C, but also a DP port and a PN port.
IM151-8. Is a CPU for the ET200S i/o, which has an ethernet port onboard (3-port switch). With ET200S you can pick the i/o you need, and since the IM151-8 and ET200S is quite inexpensive, it will save you a lot.
If you have to upgrade an HMI at the same time then I strongly (cant be emphasised enough) recommend that you switch to an ethernet enabled CPU at the same time.

I know it depends on the model you have but some were still made up until 2010/2011 so you may want to see if they (Siemens) or someone else has it in stock then you will not have to re-write it, I have a few still running at a couple of customers and they are 20 years old... and still running strong :)

Not sure of your reason to wanting to replace it...

This is from the second link you posted:
The above items (S5-90/95/100) will be declared phased-out products as per October 1, 2003. This means that they will remain available as new parts for approx. one more year only. The affected products will be deleted from the catalog and the Mall, but remain available as new parts until approx. October 1, 2004. Thereafter the products will receive spare part status and be available on a spare parts basis for 9 years, i.e. until October 01, 2013.
I am pretty certain that they havent produced anything S5 for many years. It is simply not possible to get all the IC parts from 10+ years ago. And after ROHS was implemented, I think it would even be illegal to make new parts with old ICs.
They have made a stockpile, and you can be lucky to find new parts when you order a spare, but I am certain that when the stockpile is depleted they change to refurbishing defective parts. I have gotten some HMI panels in the past that were clearly refurbished. I think there was a sticker on the back of the panel that informed it was a repaired unit. (edit: I remember now that we had to send a defective panel in, and we then got a repaired unit in return. We would have liked to buy an all-new unit, but it was simply not possible).

Last edited: