AB plc 5 comunication with Rs232 device?

mbobocel

I have been using plc 5-30 or 40's for a while now in our sawmill aplications. i have been using Vorne brand displays to display error messages, board counts ect but i have only been able to figure out to comunicate with these type of devices on the programming port of the processor. thus when you are trying to change the program while the machine is running it is a pain to turn off the ascII comands that keep comming to the programming port. i have looked into trying to use periffiral modules to try to communicate with but on these type of processors you can only use the channels on the processor to send out messages am i right?

is there a way to convert DH+ signals or some other communication that is avalable on these older enhanced processors to a rs-232 signal or something that these displays can read?

i would appreicate guidance if possible

thank you

Recalling from memory, which can be dangerous, 5/30 & 5/40s have a serial port. These are call the enhanced platform PLC5s. Also I think there was a module that fit into a chassis slot that would give you more DH+ ports. They're either 1771-KE, KA or someting like that. You could also go to a PLC5/60 which gives you more DH+, RIO ports.

How do you now connect? Because on these models, they should have a round 9-pin connector for getting on DH+. Another Phoenix connector would be where you connect to the DH+ port. They can be used at the same time because each device has it's own node address. Or possibly is your HMI using RIO?

It sounds like you're using the serial port for both programming and for ASCII comms to the Vorne display units. You would be happiest with a DH+ connection for programming (it's much faster) by buying a 1784-U2DHP.

If that is too expensive, you may look into setting up some logic to switch between ASCII and DF1 automatically (when you flip a switch to a spare input, for example). I believe (also working from memory) there are some system bits you can diddle to switch modes programmatically.

thanks for the advice

is the DH+ quite hard to change to? right now i have been using the serial port of my laptop to program with rs logics and rs links. it should comunicate with a USB port ok?

thanks for the advice

is the DH+ quite hard to change to? right now i have been using the serial port of my laptop to program with rs logics and rs links. it should comunicate with a USB port ok?

With DH+, once you set up the driver in RSLinx to the DH+ usb unit, the 1784 U2DHP, you will essentially see no difference , the only difference I could think of may be that the comms to your laptop on DH+ might run faster.

also a HMI?

i am also looking for a hmi that will work well with these AB plc 5's without changing to ethernet. what do you recomend as a economical brand or model that would work with either DH+ or Remote IO on this vintage of plc?

i have tried panelview 900 with the remote IO comunication but it is a little tricky with the block transfers. something more user friendly would be nice

i am also looking for a hmi that will work well with these AB plc 5's without changing to ethernet. what do you recomend as a economical brand or model that would work with either DH+ or Remote IO on this vintage of plc?

i have tried panelview 900 with the remote IO comunication but it is a little tricky with the block transfers. something more user friendly would be nice

Stay away from RIO HMI's. A pain in the ???

There was a resent post about that, see links below.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=485364&postcount=8

http://www.uticor.com/products-mainmenu-61/3rd-generation/tough-panel