ControlLogix as a gateway

whumphrey

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an application where I need a CompactLogix on one network to communicate with some Ethernet/IP valve actuators on another network.

My idea is to put in a ControlLogix chassis with two Ethernet modules to act as a gateway between the CompactLogix processor and the the valve actuators.

Will I be able to configure my CompactLogix program to see the valves via the ControlLogix ethernet modules this way?

Thanks,
Warren

Not as an I/O connection.

There can be only one backplane between a ControlLogix-family controller and the network interface module that's connected to an I/O network.

To put it another way: "You can only scan I/O on local networks".

The CompactLogix can send unscheduled Messages to the valves, but it cannot control them.

Here's the bad part: You can configure this and it *might* work, until the planets stop aligning and the connection gets reset. I've been through this a few times with users who set it up against my advice, and it worked for a while, and I had to explain the technical definition of "coincidence". This is not a supported or recommended connection method.

Thanks. What do you mean by *control them* ? Can the *unscheduled messages* read and write data to the input and output image of the valves?