s7 400 hw selection and configuration

hiren gajera

hi everyone,
i got one project on s7 400 but i never use it ever and i don't know about s7 400's hardware and it's configuration so please somebody help me on it.

thank you
hiren

thank you moggie.
i have one confusion regarding communicate s7 400 with 16 channel temperature scanner and energy meter via using rs485.is it possible? how?

you made me curious because obviously you used both. tell me, why is this optimal (and why "it should be" ;))

As you certainly know, Siemens was strongly involved when the Profibus DP was developed to a standard (from SinecL2). So connection of DP equipment has allways been quite easy using Siemens gear. When (if) you find and install the correct GSDs, you'll get the basic communication up and go reliably at a good speed with little effort.

But, unfortunately there are lots of complicated boxes out there with overlayed protocols presumably invented on late nachspiels with plenty assorted chemicals available. Where the purpose is to squeese as much data as possible through a few bytes of IO window. And you need to poll all datagrams because the few interesting values are well spread through the whole area. Sigh!

I have used both Modbus RTU and TCPIP also, but I try to avoid it with Siemens since it allways includes more home made code to make it play. The serial comms are also more reluctant to work; with the character frame differences, bitrates and the handshaking signal issues.

My experiences is valid for Siemens CPUs, I use other makes once in a blue moon.

Kalle

Last edited: