Move USB-232 converter to different COM port in Windows

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
My built-in serial port is bad, but Windows still sees it on COM 1.

My USB/RS-232 adapter installs on COM 7. That wasn't a problem until I needed to connect to a device whose turn-of-the-century software only offers connection through COM 1 through COM 4.

COM ports 2, 3, and 4 are 'open' if there's some means of changing the USB/232 adapter to one of those.

Does someone know how to change the COM port of a device?

This is a dual boot machine with either XP and Win 7. I prefer 7 but can easily live with XP.

Dan

Sure, stop anything accessing the com port, go into device manager and change the port number.
Properties on the port, port settings, advanced.

Does someone know how to change the COM port of a device?

Dravik said:
Sure, stop anything accessing the com port, go into device manager and change the port number.
Properties on the port, port settings, advanced.

Dravik has pointed out... but also it may show that port 2-6 are 'in use', if you don't have anything plugged into your USB ports other then the one cable you are trying to change to just make the change anyway, a lot of devices will reserve the number of the port when they are plug in