AB PLC5 question

Voltimus

Hey everybody,

I am at a facility that is basically operating on an old PLC5 system with 2 CPU's and networked with DH+. The question I have is that they're running a very old HMI. I've told them that it shouldn't be too hard to just DH+ to a couple of new computers and run RSView on the new computers and completely scrap their old non-AB HMI. Does this seem like good advice?

What equipment would I need additionally besides the PLC to set up and run this? I can do the HMI programming myself.

Well, you need the RSView32 software, a PC to run it and a DH+ interface card. A PV+ could be an option, but I don't know if AB dropped the DH+ option from ver. 6 PV Pluses.

Someone will need a copy RSView32 Works, which contains the programming and editable version of the software, and also a copy of RSLinx that is compatabile with RSView (RSLinx Gateway or similar). For the running version, the operating computer only needs RSView32 Runtime, although Works can be used for that also.

Thanks, guys.

I knew I needed the RSView software, and we already have it for the marine side of the facility. I was just curious what other equipment was needed for interfacing with the PC.

My experience has always told me that you would need the DH+ card, the PC and appropriate cabling (blue hose) to connect with the PLC. Then RSlinx and RSview to create and run your HMI.

Does Allen Bradley still even make a DH+ interface card for PC's?

What about using a Ethernet sidecars? I added a few sidebars to some 5 an used whoever's HMI the customer wanted. I will sound like a broken record but the Red Lion HMI are a nice. I would try to stay away from DH+.

I just finished a project like this. We used a PC running Factorytalk View SE Station. If you use the AB 1784-PKTX card it is a PCI card that connects DH+ via a blue hose or a proprietary cable. The RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic both have DH+ drivers for the PKTX card to interface the DH+ network.

I'd recommend staying away from placing a DH+ card in a computer these days. Motherboard architecture seems to be changing at a rapid pace and you may not be able to find a computer with a motherboard that is compatible. You might be able to find one today, but what about next time the computer needs to be replaced.

I'd recommend putting in a ControlLogix chassis (used as a gateway) with an ENBT and a DHRIO card to bridge networks.

If they'd be willing to upgrade their processors, go for a ControlLogix solution. Bring them up to the current century.

I'd recommend staying away from placing a DH+ card in a computer these days. Motherboard architecture seems to be changing at a rapid pace and you may not be able to find a computer with a motherboard that is compatible. You might be able to find one today, but what about next time the computer needs to be replaced.

I'd recommend putting in a ControlLogix chassis (used as a gateway) with an ENBT and a DHRIO card to bridge networks.

If they'd be willing to upgrade their processors, go for a ControlLogix solution. Bring them up to the current century.

That's a good point. While a PKTX card is cheaper than a ControlLogix Gateway, it may not be the best way to go. Do computers still come with PCI slots? If they do, for how much longer? Ethernet is the standard now and its open. Although DH+ works well, it's time has passed.

That's a good point. While a PKTX card is cheaper than a ControlLogix Gateway, it may not be the best way to go. Do computers still come with PCI slots? If they do, for how much longer? Ethernet is the standard now and its open. Although DH+ works well, it's time has passed.

I suspect that it won't be too much longer before the PKTX card goes silver and becomes as costly as gold. The Logix Gateway is a better deal long term, and could end up being expanded to take control of the old I/O with some careful planning to allow the addition of a processor later on.

That's actually the route that the previous tech was taking, my question is, how do I go about completing that instead of going with the DH+ card?

So I mount the rack and run the DH+ cabling from the PLC to the DHRIO, how do I get the data from the controllogix dhrio module through the ethernet module and successfully talking to a RsView/Rslinx installed PC?

The Logix Gateway is a better deal long term, and could end up being expanded to take control of the old I/O with some careful planning to allow the addition of a processor later on.

I have seen this in action. Long term as the PL5 bites the dust having this already setup will speed up the retrofit. With a PL5, retrofit is no longer an "if" but a "when".