Find the Specific gravity by Weight

daniyal

I am working on an application, that measure S.G of a medium in a tank by load cell.
that how can I calculate this if we know the tank size and weight of the medium.

ragards.

to get specific gravity you need to know volume and weight.

So you would need to know how much material is in the tank minus the static weight of the tank.

Then you would need to know the volume of material in the tank.

Once you have those 2 pieces of data you would plug it into your conversion.

The conversion is going to be based on what units of measure you measured the volume and weight with and what you want your final unit of measurement to be.

not much clear, if anybody concern to my above question and reply in a guide way.

Read the definition of specific gravity which is weight per volume.

In the case of liquids - water = 1 gram per cubic centimeter. OR specific weight in the case of solids.

I think (reading behind the lines) you want to know the actual specific gravity - in that case use a hydrometer.

Your idea of using tank weight and volume will work IF you have no foreign objects in the tank. Putting a block of steel in the tank (or whatever) will throw your calculations off.

RECOMMEND get two sets of hydrometers.
ONE to use as your referance ie primary standard
TWO another (or sets of them) for use by operators - these can be much cheaper than your standard and therefore not a big isssue WHEN they get broken.

From my experience electronic load cells just do not last long around liquids. Use pneumatic or hydraulics to derive your weight value.

Dan Bentler

So you have the weight of the tank , the SG can be measured with a second loadcell, with a known volume at the end of a long wire, the loadcell is on top of tank.
when the weight of the 'bulb' is known(for example 2kg/l and complete submerged it is weighing 1 kg/l then the SG will be 2-1=1 kg/l
there is also another method for this, connect a known volume on the bottom with flexible hoses then weigh the volume you have.