HELP: XP vs SLC100(50)

MicZTek

This has to be possible, so up until they intergrated DOS with windows or vise versa the old software could speak dirrectly to the plc. Then they went and made new versions making it neccessary to run driver or comm software. XP has a command prompt, the software works fine, but can NOT communicate with the PLC. PLEASE tell me there is a way around this, do not want to run dual boot, or explain to alot of clients time to update plc many machine to much time, to many head aches, also is why i don;t want to keep another comp around.

Well thanks a head of time for any input you guys might have on this situation,

MicZTek

If you want to work on 20-year-old controllers, you're going to have to accept a small threshold of headaches. I use PartitionMagic and BootMagic to run my DOS programs in a true DOS environment and keep my Tylenol consumption to a bare minimum.

www.vmware.com

Virtual computer inside your XP machine, running any OS you want. Full package with a 40-day trial available for download, $299 to buy.

Terrific product, use it with NT to program Steeplechase - if it can survive that, it can handle anything.

You will need a set of DOS install disks, tho'. Can't help you there.

TM

MicZTek

I have a bad/good habit of not throwing anything away, (I've got 30,000 sq ft of space). When I need to work on one of my old Idec :sick:, or Omrons, etc in DOS, I go and dust off the laptop I used to program them in the 1st place.

I know is sounds funny but I never even considered loading the LSS2 or Idec DOS based sofware etc. on my newer computers, Win 98 +.

I've run the old DL20 software in the DOS window on Win 2000 with no problems. You have to make sure RSLinx is either shut down or is not configured to use the com port. I have never tried the SLC100 s/w and hope I never have to.
If the s/w accesses the com port via OS calls then it should work in the DOS window. If the s/w tries to access the port directly, then NT, 2K, XP will block it.