Serial to Profibus Gateway

kamenges

I have an application where I want to connect a Siemens S7 315-2DP to a motion controller that has an ASCII serial interface. I looked at the CP-341 communication module but it looks like that will force me to do all the string processing in the plc.
i have been looking at Profibus to serial gateways, specifically the MKS PFB366 and the HMS AnyBus Communicator. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
I want to let the gateway handle the string processing for me. It looks like if I do that the PFB366 will only allow me to send and receive one data value. The AnyBus product looks like it allow me to send and receive many more values?
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Keith

I looked at a couple of Profibus enabled motion controllers. The Parker 6K didn't have the instruction set I was looking for. I also looked at the Delta RMC100 (believe it or not). The price was a little higher than I could support. Unfortunately I didn't look into the RMC100 farther than the price.

Keith

Does the motion controller have any protocol? If your still looking at
options did you check Emerson/Control Techniques MC Controller it can be set up to communicate Profibus. Its instruction set is pretty powerful. here's a link Chapter 12 of the Technical Reference manual describes Profibus comms.
HERE

Thanks for the info.
Control Techniques is what got me in this predicament in the first place so I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth relative to them right now. This is a Unidrive application and they tried to pull it off with a UD70 coprocessor. That's not quite cutting the mustard.
It surprises me they haven't moved over to the MC themselves in this case. I have to agree the instruction set looks much more powerful and the loop closure rate is much better than what they can do in the UD70.

Keith

Can you put the profibus module AND the UD70 module on at the same time??
I've used S7 with CT Unidrives and it works well. I have a FB for the communication if you want it.

I am currently using the UD70 as the Profibus interface to the drive. The Profibus interface part isn't the problem. The issue is the UD70 acting as a motion controller in my application. The UD70 is not keeping my axis on profile, thus the desire for a new motion controller.

Keith

This is an installed system with a 100 HP line regenerative powertrain. The powertrain portion of it APPEARS to be cutting the mustard. I know. I know. You really can't so cavalierly separate powertrain and control in motion applications. But all evidence suggests the drive is doing exactly what the controller is telling it to do.
Anyway, I am not prepared to scrap a fairly expensive powertrain at this point for what appears to be a motion controller issue.

But thanks for the suggestion. I looked at Siemens a couple of years ago at the start of this project. They didn't have a motor that could do what I wanted. I have used the Masterdrive MC on other projects, though, and I liked what it could do.

Keith

OK, now I'm getting a bit nervous. It doesn't sound like this serial to Profibus thing is a very popular methodology. If it was a few someone's here would have some experience with it. I might need to rethink my approach to this a little bit. That RMC100 is looking better every minute.

Keith