Using a Loop Isolator as a Loop Splitter

elmatador

Hi Guys,

Can you please see the attached drawing? Will this configuration with a Weidmuller Loop Isolator (PicoPak) actually work as a Loop Splitter?

Please let me know!

For some reason my pic is all blurry. The fuse feeds the (+) on the transmitter, the (-) of the transmitter goes into the IN(+). The IN(-) goes into the Input of the PLC. The OUT(+) is wired to 24VDC on a RTU, and OUT(-) is wired to the SIG on the RTU.

loop_splitter.jpg

Last edited:
Mickey,
I AssUMed that it is the negative side of the transmitter power supply (probably the 0 volt side of a 24 volt supply). No, that is not right. It has to be the PLC analog input, but why would it go more than one place?

Last edited:
Mickey,
I AssUMed that it is the negative side of the transmitter power supply (probably the 0 volt side of a 24 volt supply).

If so then that would short the modules input, the common side of the power supply should be connected to the common on the analog card.

Or am I missing something here? Having a senior moment.

card.png

Last edited:
It has to be the + analog input, and if it is being split off to other places, then the total load may exceed the transmitter capacity, so I retract my earlier endorsement!

without that jumper between 3-29 and 3-30, it'd look OK. Let us know where that other wire heads off to! the basic idea with how you're wiring the loop isolator is though.

actually, that jumper between 3-29 and 3-30 could be neccasary. i ran a job recently, that had me doing almost all the instrumentation and electrical on. and another company doing the programming:mad: lol. anyways, we had the panel made out of our central office and then i installed it. when it came time to test everything with the programmer, our flow meters were not working over hart to the hart card on the compactlogix plc. that is when i noticed on the prints a jumper was missing on the card, basically, it gave a common point to reference on the hart card.

so depending on his situation, that jumper might be neccasary. however we do not have all the information to make that decision as the print posted does not show everthing.

as for the loop isolator, i have not worked with one before, however id be tempted to talk to your wiedmuller representative or browse their website to find more info on that particular device to see if it will fulfill your needs.