Connecting 4-20mA Sensor Transmitter to 1762-IF4 card

mike64b

I've got a 1762-IF4 w/ a micrologix 1200 and I'm using a 4-20mA transmitter in order to hook up pH and conductivity to the plc. The transmitter I'm using is http://www.omega.com/manuals/manualpdf/M3872.pdf

Note on Page 2 under the bold heading "Output", it shows a connection diagram in order to supply the transmitter output with the necessary power. The connection goes pH output S1 (-) --> 1762-IF4 card In(-), 1762 IF4 card In(+) --> 16VDC power supply. pH Output 0 is then tied with the power supply ground.

I've hooked this up to my IF4 card as shown but the I:2.0 corresponding file is reading like 0, -2, -3, -5, 2, when in reality it should be 4mA min , so it should be above 6241.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help Mickey. I figured out two problems, first the card connection was faulty. I had already measured 12mA across the card but when I tested again I found that the screw terminals were causing the the reading to drop to zero sometimes, so I adjusted those. Additionally, the polarity was backwards.. I've fixed it and its working fine now.

Thanks!