Learning LOGIX 5000

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i am having to learn logix 5000 and i was wondering how you learned it.

i have created a project, chose a plc, i/o, and have learned how to describe the i/o.

how do you determine the difference between instructions since the instructions are now tag based?

also, how do you get used to everything being programmed in a single line as far as outputs, move, copy?

i looked at this ONE rung in which there was logic and an output, there was then what i consider another rung of logic and several outputs, move, and copy commands on the same line, and then there was then a third rung of logic connected to that. ALL of this was one rung! How do you keep it all straight in your head while you debug the logic?

pointers, helpful hints, suggestions are most welcome.

regards,
james

I guess I don't understand your first question about difference between instructions.

Other than that, you don't have to put everything on one line - you can continue to use parallel branches like you have done in the past with 5 or 500. Just because you CAN put everything doesn't always mean that you SHOULD, but there are some benefits...

One thing that I try to do, though, is to always maintain readability. My goal is for my logic to be simple enough, easy enough to read, that 3rd shift Bubba can make sense of it. Because we're not always used to seeing the logic all mashed up together, it becomes unreadable to him. Yes, it works and may even be more "efficient", but it's not friendly.

How do you get used to it? Practice, practice, practice...

I learned Logix5000 by.... doing it. I read the help files, experimented, asked for help, read these forums. In fact, I still do all these things.

If you have Logix5/500 experience, you should be able to pick up 5000 fairly easily. For the most part, everything programs very similar with the only exception being the tag database. And, to me, the Tag database makes things a lot easier to program. Harder to troubleshoot, but easier to program. It'll all click soon enough for you, and if you get stumped on something, that is what PLCS.net is for!

Well put Helliana....we all have to go back to basic's from time to time. The person that knows everything usually works by himself...lol

For people transitioning to ControlLogix, I recommend doing as much as possible the way you are used to at first. You can even declare array tags like N7[100] (to act like an N7 file) if you like. I think you'll see real quick why that's not a good practice, but if it helps you get started go for it.

The alternate rung layout is similar, do it the way you are comfortable with. Use the freedom to arrange outputs to make your code easier to follow, not harder. I escpecially dislike seeing an output instruction with logic before and after it. Use a second rung please. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.

My ControlLogix style continues to evolve on every project. The absolute best way I know to learn good practices is to work alongside an experienced programmer on a real project. Observing how they go about solving problems can teach you things you never imagined you needed to know.

I learned Logix5000 by.... doing it. I read the help files, experimented, asked for help, read these forums. In fact, I still do all these things.

If you have Logix5/500 experience, you should be able to pick up 5000 fairly easily. For the most part, everything programs very similar with the only exception being the tag database. And, to me, the Tag database makes things a lot easier to program. Harder to troubleshoot, but easier to program. It'll all click soon enough for you, and if you get stumped on something, that is what PLCS.net is for!

Just curious, what about tags do you think makes it harder to troubleshoot? Is it just that it's not the same as a PLC-5 or SLC?

I started by learning the basics from a few classes I had in school. On class was based heavily on the SLC5/05 and the other was with a Logix5000 controller. I had a total of three classes that touched on PLC logic, one PLC was half the class and the other two we touched on PLC for a few weeks.

The best thing you can do is look at sample code try to understand that then work on your own and see if you can design some code on paper, then translate it to the PLC and see if it works.

This will help you design the code and interpret it to the ladder based system.

My start with RSLogix 5000 was using RSTrainer for RSLogix 5000 which was available in my company and it was a good start to know its fundamentals. I also used RSLogix Emulate 5000 as a simulation program to check my codes. It make learning so easy, but it wasn't the thing that make you ignore the importance of program help.
I don't know if these application available for you or not, but anyway keep learning and good luck

There are actually times when having an output on the same rung as the logic is preferred. With the 5000 platform the I/O is processed in real time unlike the 500 platform which processes the I/O at the end of the scan. This presents an opportunity for an output to be energized when you really don't want it to. This scenario is rare but when it happens you will understand the concern. It is true that experience is the only way to truly learn and understand the 5000 platform. Although it visually looks similar and is easy to do simple things, there are a lot of differences that you can take advantage of as you get familiar with it.

Last edited:
I went to a new job with absolutely no interview whatsoever and was handed my new project - RS5000 on Flexlogix. I learned by doing, but I had a lot of experience with PLC3's and PLC5's. Most instructions are the same, but I still find myself using the "Instruction Help" from the help menu very often. There's a lot of stuff in there. I don't think I used arrays much at first, but in the years since, my understanding has greatly increased by doing, and observing what other programmers have done.

The best thing you can do is use an existing program, and decipher what does what. Always use the "OP" principle; and check your findings on this site, of course! You will also find ways to NEVER program your PLC, of course, viewing what "Other People' have done.

I read the manuals and then learn by doing. AB does a good job with thier quick start manuals. (short & too the point) Great for getting up to speed quickly on a new device. Loaded with plenty of examples.

If you company has any other equipment with LOgix programs I would take a look at those and learn by example. Many companies have standards and certain ways they like things done, so try to do it thier way.