RSLinx Subnet Mask

Bigrobford123

Hello All, I was wondering if you can use a subnet mask other then 255.255.255.0 on RSLinx Classic Lite. I have a network of AB Compact Logix PLCs with IP addresses such as 11.29.119.xxx. The IT department can not ping the IP addresses of the PLCs because the TI department's network is on a 255.255.254.0. I can change this in the PLCs so they can see it, but will I be able to find the PLCs with RSLinx through the ethernet? If so, How?

Thanks in advance all for any help you can be!!

The subnet mask merely indicates how many bits of the IP address need to match for the device to pay attention to it. The IP address and subnet mask functions of an AB PLC work just exactly like they would in an office network. Your IT department should be able to tell you how to set them so they can do what you need to do.

........The IT department can not ping the IP addresses of the PLCs because the TI department's network is on a 255.255.254.0. .....

I can't resist the temptation to ask why they should want to ping the PLC IP's at all. The PLCs, IMHO (this should open a can of worms), are not IT department "territory".

Perhaps the original instigators of the networks deliberately separated them so that they couldn't be seen by each other. If they can't be seen, no substantial data-traffic can pass between them.