Horner XLe-103 PLC

Tmpja

Hi, I am from Jamaica and trying to automate a roll former to cut to length aluminum material. I had bought a Horner XLe-103, a Leeson Micro Series 3 phase frequency controller for the motor on the roll former and a Red Lion encoder 1000 ppr. Never had any experience in plc programming and thought it would be easy...((Did I find that out the hard way..)) In order to cut the motor has to stop. What would be the first step in setting this up. I would also like a sample of the ladder logic for this.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk Miller
Computer Analyst
TROPICAL METAL PRODUCTS LTD.
18 WESTPORT AVENUE, RIVERTON MEADOWS, P.O. BOX 41, KINGSTON 11
TEL: 765-3517, 765-9236, 934-0675, 765-9444
TOLL FREE: 1-888-TMP-ROOF (1-888-867-7663), FAX: 934-2704

Hi, I am from Jamaica and trying to automate a roll former to cut to length aluminum material. I had bought a Horner XLe-103, a Leeson Micro Series 3 phase frequency controller for the motor on the roll former and a Red Lion encoder 1000 ppr. Never had any experience in plc programming and thought it would be easy...((Did I find that out the hard way..)) In order to cut the motor has to stop. What would be the first step in setting this up. I would also like a sample of the ladder logic for this.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk Miller
Computer Analyst
What are you looking for exactly?
You can utilize the high speed counter that the Horner unit has as a built-in for your encoder feedback.
You will need to scale the count to a unit with a meaning something like mm's or so.
You will also have to reset the count at a given point, a marker can be used or just a setup file function will allow you to automatically roll over.
The VFD will not work for you.
You could slow down the motor when you are getting close to the cut point but you',ll need a brake to stop it on the dime, perform the cut and continue on.
Since you don't mention anything about analog I/O I assume you don't control the VFD via analog ref.
In your case, you could utilize a couple or "preset speeds" via digital I/O on the VFD.
You have to kind of throw out a lot more info to get better help such as part numbers. etc.

Sorry for the delay in replying, was just doing some researching.
Here are the Part Numbers:
Red Lion encoder P/N: ZBH10002
PLC: Horner HE-XE103MM
The VFD: Leeson Speedmaster Model Number: 174560.00.
I need to program the plc to carry out the cut to length function. Any suggestions or sample ladder logic would be greatly appreciated. The count would be scaled to inches as current the wheel that I am using for the encorder is 1FT.

Kirk Miller
Computer Analyst

Hi, I am from Jamaica and trying to automate a roll former to cut to length aluminum material. I had bought a Horner XLe-103, a Leeson Micro Series 3 phase frequency controller for the motor on the roll former and a Red Lion encoder 1000 ppr.
Never had any experience in plc programming and thought it would be easy

1st: If you have no experence in PLC Programming where did you get your information or data on this is wht you need to make this work?

((Did I find that out the hard way..))

2nd: Ony you can answer this question.

In order to cut the motor has to stop.

Third: Alot of things need to happen way before this step can be exucuted.
What would be the first step in setting this up.

Fourth: Draw out on paper what you want to happen step by step. Read all materal Throughly. Think Safety for the machine and others before exucuting any plc program especially when any kind of cutting is involved.

Fifth: Why didnt you start out small to learn what you needed first. Nothing like jumping in with both feet.

Have some sort of program started and many will be more than happy to stear you in the right direction.

Can you post some pictures of this thing for us? that would help get the ball rolling.

I did a couple of systems for guys over the web years ago, and one came out pretty nice, while the other never did get off of the ground because the guy just didn't understand automation.

It can be done, but you have to realize your limitations (and ours), if it gets to the point where it simply makes no sense whatsoever, it's time to call the professionals in.

The big thing is safety of course, but relax it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure these things out. Follow industry best practices and you will be fine. It really boils down to the machine can't run when the human isn't where they are supposed to be (i.e. in the cage with the saw would be a bad time to start things up), or when the machine isn't operating properly.

Once you get the equipment in and operating properly, then management has to commit to making sure that it is maintained properly. i.e. safeties aren't bypassed, guards are kept in place, Lockout/Tagout policies are adhered to.

Feel free to PM me.