PC to ControlLogix Messaging

Fourpaw

I have an RFIdeas Card Reader IP 10.56.110.202 sending a 12345 value to Virtual ComPort#8 on a network PC IP 10.56.106.250.

A ControlLogix PLC IP 10.56.110.101 needs to read the 12345 value from the PC's ComPort#8.

Does anyone have any ideas on MSG configuaration, path, string setup etc (or other) to accomplish this?

Thanks,

If you use something like Advanced HMI you should be able to pass this easily.
I would probably use a RedLion G3 and pass this info thru it. It shouldn't be very bad. It all depend what protocol you are using from the RFID unit.

It's not really going to be easy. It sounds like the RFID reader is using raw ASCII across a TCP connection (do you know which TCP port it's using ?), while the ControlLogix uses its own more sophisticated tag database access protocol, EtherNet/IP(TM).

Does the data need to pass through the PC first ? There are gateway devices from Digi, RTA, or Prosoft that might handle this.

Which model of ControlLogix and Ethernet module are you using ? The 1756-EWEB and 1756-EN2T can do 'Raw Sockets' and might accept this data directly.

A bit of a kludge, but one that might work, is to mirror the virtual COM port to an actual Serial Port and connect that to the controller, and use the controller's serial port ASCII instruction set to read the data.

Thanks fellas.

Jeff - the reader apparently transmits in EIP Protocol.

Ken - TCP Port is 10001, the data does not need to pass through the PC... if there's a way to grab it off the plant ethernet network that'll be fine. The controller and ethernet card we are using are 1756-L55 & 1756-ENBT.

Thanks fellas.

Jeff - the reader apparently transmits in EIP Protocol.

If that's the case, it appears to be fairly recent, so you may need to contact the mfg for information about how to connect the device and perhaps even add it to the I/O tree in RSLogix5000.

I am not sure which manual to look for since you didn't mention the model of device you're using, but the information may be contained in the appropriate literature.

http://www.rfideas.com/Software/Manuals/index.php

Keep us posted, RFID is being talked about here (has been for five years now)...

Paul

This is an RDR-6081AKE... very little literature past connecting to the PCProxPlus Utility which basically only lets you see what has been scanned by the reader.

This is an RDR-6081AKE... very little literature past connecting to the PCProxPlus Utility which basically only lets you see what has been scanned by the reader.

I don't think they have done a good job of listing part numbers accurately on their website. http://www.rfideas.com/products/pcprox_readers/pcprox_enroll/part_numbers.php

I THINK you need the RDR-6081BKE to actually talk Ethernet/IP. This part number has "Industrial Protocol" in the description.

I have used many of the RDR-6081AK7 RS232 readers in conjunction with a Com-trol DeviceMaster UP in the past.
I just got a quote for one of these new ones with POE which seems like it will be much more straightforward.

Does the computer need to use this information as well as the PLC?

Have you contacted RFIdeas yet? They have been pretty good in my experience.

Solution found.

RFIdeas has a new EtherNet/IP with PoE RF card reader. This reader is specifically designed to integrate with AB PLCs.

Part Number RDR-80581AKB-P