RSNetworx for DeviceNet

wpyles

I am working on installing equipment that we just bought from auction. It is using a SLC5/05 with a 1747-SDN and 1 analog input card.

It then is using several "Modicon 170 LNT 710 00 DeviceNet Communication Adapter for Modicon TSX Momentum" with various bases.

When i look at the first four nodes on RSNetworx it shows them as 01-04 but the nodes physically have the dip switches set to 16,17,18,19.

I am new to devicenet and am wondering why the difference in the physical address on the communications adapter vs. the virtual address of the scanner?

There's no magical offset or translation; Node Numbers are sometimes called MAC ID's but they are always just numbers between 0 and 63.

When you say "look at the first four nodes on RSNetworx", are you looking at a Scanlist that you've uploaded from the 1747-SDN, or are you looking at a Network Layout that you've uploaded from the network ?

I'm thinking that either you're mistaking a memory offset address for a Node Number, or that the offline file or saved file doesn't match the actual machine network.

Try just doing a browse in RSLinx Classic using the DeviceNet driver. That will tell you what node numbers the Modicon adapters are actually using when they communicate on the network.

I was looking at a network layout that i recieved from the company we bought the equipment from. I used RSLinx as you suggested and the Node Numbers match. I can only assume that the file i was given was incorrect. I will upload the scan list from the 1747-sdn.

Thanks!

You're on the right track.

The very first thing you want to do is *upload* the scanlist from the 1747-SDN as well as any parameters that are in the Modicon adapters.

Modular I/O adapters typically have some sort of mapping or configuration options that allow you to make sense of the various blocks of data.

A-B FLEX I/O has a special applet that RSNetworx uses, but Modicon adapters probably are ordinary Parameter-based devices.

You will want to register any EDS files you can get for the Modicon adapters before you go online and upload from them.

Definitely do not perform any "download" or "download to network" on any of these devices; that will overwrite the configurations stored in them.