Need DB connector hood with flush front

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need a source for a D-sub connector (DB9 / HD15 size) backshell hood that has nothing sticking out the front.

We need to upgrade some photocells that plug into a printer using a HD15 connector. We've been paying $400 apiece for a custom made eye with the right connector, but it's not washdown rated. I picked a new eye and cable (IP69K) and it tests fine if I stand there and mash it in, but the silly printer housing has a surround around the connector that won't let the typical backshell seat properly. I have about 6 different kinds of back shells on hand and they all have some sort of protrusion making them unsuitable.

Anyone know of a source? My googling hasn't found any yet.

Thanks,
Paul

DB_Backshell.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, I have one similar to those and it protrudes less in thickness but is actually wider and interferes as well. I am considering modifying our printers' plastic housing with a dremel tool to make the typical field crimped HD hood fit. We have about 9 of them in service though, and probably several spares I would have to modify...

I may just resort to buying a molded cable and using a field wire-able 4 pin connector at the end where the new photocell will connect. The problem with that is that it's the end that gets blasted with hot water every night...the printer and DB connector end get "bagged" so are more protected.

I have no idea why the original design uses a HD15 connector. We only use 3 of those pins, but I suppose more elaborate systems use more photocells and need more pins.

I have seen right angle adapters that might work allowing you to use what you have. but have no part # for them.

Yeah, my laptop doesn't like those non-molded style connectors either. I just stick a 'port saver' on the end. Google "HD15 Port Saver".

Only $0.01 each on Amazon (plus $4.00 shipping).

🍻

-Eric

use a gender changer, you can grind off the little stubs, or if the holding screws are not needed put a small screw in it.