Connecting to a ML1500

smichalo

Hi All

I know this topic has been discussed in other threads but I was still unable to connect to my 1500. I finally broke down and decided to post a thread.

I am trying to connect to a ML1500 PLC LRP 24BWA with no success. I launch Rslinx 2.54 and add the "RS-232 DF1 devices"
I press autoconfigure and I get the message that says " unable to verify settings due to packet timeout....." This is through a real serial port on the laptop configured to COM1

I'm using a 1761-CBL-PM02 Ser C cable to connect to channel 0 on the front of the PLC. I know this channel is configured for DH485 and channel 1 is configured with DF1. I do not have a Null modem cable handy right now to try channel 1.

I guess my question is am I using the right driver to connect to this PLC? I would also like to know if I could go directly to channel 0 with my PM02 cable or do I need an AIC device between them ( rockwell recommended this )

Sorry for the long post but if any one can maybe throw out some ideas it might trigger some suppressed memory. ( I've got many memories from rockwell that I'm trying to suppress )

Thanks

Steve

I am trying to connect to a ML1500 PLC LRP 24BWA with no success. I launch Rslinx 2.54 and add the "RS-232 DF1 devices"
---
I'm using a 1761-CBL-PM02 Ser C cable to connect to channel 0 on the front of the PLC. I know this channel is configured for DH485

I believe you need to use the PIC/AIC+ driver with that arrangement. The PIC/AIC+ driver won't work with Windows XP SP3 or newer OS. It can be made to work with WinXP SP3 for the PIC module, and probably with the RS-232 connection you are using if it was upgraded from Windows XP SP2 and you use our colleauge DMRoeder's patch:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=63919&highlight=SP3+patch

The Df1 driver will need to be stopped before you attempt to configure a DH485 driver for that port.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Okie. I packed it in for today, but i'm going to get back on it Monday. My laptop does have SP3 on it. I have another laptop with windows 7. Would i have betterluck using this? I'll give it a go on monday.

Thanks again

Steve

You will have less luck with Windows7. To use the PIC driver you must have either Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 + that patch from the link. Running Windows7 with a Virtual XP won't help you either.

The PIC driver is old and lost support once XP SP3 came out. I'd recommend that you pick up a 1747-UIC from here. This will allow you to talk DH485.

Well I finally got back on my little dilemma with the ML1500. I Held the comms button until the plc was in dcomm. I managed to auto configure successfully and was able to see the plc in rslinx. Problem is when I try to upload it takes for ever and it faults on a com failure. Oh so close but still no success. I will get back on it tomorrow. See if I could find anything else.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you have a HMI connected? is it running a program/machine? Do you have a off line copy of the program, why do you thinks its configured to DH485? (not the norm)

It sounds like you are doing it correct, but just so you can double check, I have been making video's for the different PLC cables http://www.ind-concepts.com/Support_and_Downloads.htm

Still learning how to make the videos, some have voice and some don't but I think they may help

Thanks for the plug dmroeder

I have had no luck with using df1 over dh485. I am no serial or modbus expert but from my research and experience dh485 is basically an rs485 connection utilizing modbusRTU. You serial adapter must be configured for rs485 and you must be using either modbusRTU protocol or a specific AB DH485 protocol.

I do not believe you are utilizing the right driver / your port on you computer is rs232 not rs485

I typically set my stuff to use rs232 DF1 full duplex unless I am trying to talk to a powerflex 4. Still then its easier to use a Red Lion DSP or G3 in the middle to either control the drive completely or use gateway blocks to transfer the data.

Thanks to all that replied. I got the 1747UIC convertor and was able to connect. Thanks for that Dmroeder. I even tried it on my windows 7 machine and it worked.
Just one last question. The port on the side of the Plc is configured for df1. I used an off the shelf null modem cable but was unable to connect using df1. I looked at the Pinout of the serial cable and it seems straight forward. 2 - 3, 3 - 2, and 5 - 5. But i could not connect using this cable. Is this the right cable or did I overlook something on the pin outs?

Anyways I least I could continue on with my project. I was just curious.

Thanks again everybody

Steve

That's the right cable, are you sure it's configured for DF1?

Is the RS232 DF1 Devices driver the only driver configured in RSLinx?

Are you using a real serial port Com 1, or a USB to Serial adapter?
If a USB to serial adapter are you pointing to the right com port it is using?

If you are not sure about the port's configuration then post it's .RSS file and someone can help you look. Zip it first.

Hey Mickey

I do know for sure that it is df1. I do have an off line copy of the program so I was able to see the channel configurations. I was using a USB to serial convertor but I have had success with other Plc's.
You did mention about pointing to the right comm port. I will check this out tomorrow.

Thanks Mickey

Steve

Hey Dmroeder

I was replying to mickeys post when you posted. I was not trying to connect using the UIC. Just the null modem cable.

Thanks for your help. That was good

Steve