SLC 500 PLC DH+ MSG Help...

JoseM

Can I send messages via DH+ to PLC's that are located on like different nodes. I'm wondering if this is possible because I have a situation where I have an instrument connected to a PLC on one production line and I want to be able to rely a message to two other production lines about the condition of the same instrument. Every line has its own DH+ network connected to a centralize Logix PLC.

Last edited:
Yes ! It's not as easy as ControlNet or Ethernet, but it can be done.

It's called a "Routing Table", and it's stored in the 1756-DHRIO module flash memory. The DHRIO module emulates an old "internetwork messaging" technique that involves "Link ID" numbers.

The first and most important thing is that you identify each DH+ network and decide on a Link ID value for that segment.

Describe your network in more detail (and the devices, PLC5, SLC-5/04, etc) on each one.

I will post some pictures of what RSLinx looks like tomorrow Ken when I get back to work. You should be able to see how the DH+ networks where setup and I can elaborate a little more on what PLC's I need the messaging communication to be set up.

Here is a picture of the DH+ network we have in our facility. There are three separate networks talking to a logix PLC.

DH+ Network_1.PNG

I attempted to set up the "Remote DH+" message but I'm getting an error. Here is a picture of the setup I did. Any help will very appreciated.

MSG Instruction.jpg

Here is a quick diagram of what I'm trying to accomplished. Can anyone help me please. PLC A is node 01 and PLC B is node 05.

MSG Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Go to your 5/04 processors at nodes 1 an 5 and in the status file look at channel 1 and see what the Link ID numbers are set to I believe the default for 5/04 is 2 and let us know what these values are also if you have or see a link number for the DHRIO give us that as well

In RSLinx goto the routing tables for each of the DHRIO cards and give us a screen shot
the final values in this table are important to get right as Ken alluded to

The remote bridge address I think should possibly be 2 which is the slot number of the DHRIO (maybe)

I have tried doing as you are wanting and know this detail matters unfortunately I got lazy after a few heart aches and got a PLC5 to do the job as a middle man and never got a final resolution

This is do-able its just that the devil is in the detail which has to be exactly right for it to work then it will work perfectly

Last edited:
Here are some more screen shots of the routing tables and channel configuration for the two DHRIO.

DHRIO Slot 2_A.PNG DHRIO Slot 2_B.PNG DHRIO Slot 3_A.PNG DHRIO Slot 3_B.PNG

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot of the modules on the ControlLogix rack and the passthru link ID.

ControlLogix_Modules.PNG Node 1_CH CFG.jpg Node 5_CH CNFG.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to figure out where the mistakes were. Here are two pics that shows what the configuration looks, now that is working.

Correct MSG Config.jpg Correct Routing Table.PNG