GE Fanuc 90-20

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have a customer that had some of his PLC go out ( loose programs etc.) due to a lighting strike, most of the PLC are ab and I have all of them running, however I just came across an old GE Fanuc 90-20 that I don't have a programming software for. Customer has the original program but I'm sitting ducks with out the software. I searched the net for GE 90-20 software and of course PLCtalk.net. What is the appropriate software for this PLC, some say logic master others VersaPro and Proficy. What operating system can the software run on I have WinXP Pro SP 3. Would anyone have the cable pin out for the comms cable needed to connect to the PLC? Any help greatly appreciated.:geek:

V__FD79 (1).jpg

For that PLC you will need LogicMaster (LM90-30). The serial port is the same as on the 90-30 and Micro PLC with a 15 pin RS-485/422 port. Go here for a pin out. The 'Cheater cable' works.

Last edited:
Will the logic Master run on XP SP 3
Yes, that's what I have on a laptop that I regulary use with Logicmaster. It's best to have a real serial port. I've had spotty results maintaining communications with a USB/serial converter. I can establish communications, but maintaining a link can be a challenge.

Few other questions:
The serial port is the same as on the 90-30 and Micro PLC with a 15 pin RS-485/422 port. Go here for a pin out. The 'Cheater cable' works.
Is this a straight connection between the PLC port 15 pin and the computer RS-232 port, using the cable information that you provided, or will I also need an Series 90 SNP to RS-232 adapter?

It's best to have a real serial port. I've had spotty results maintaining communications with a USB/serial converter. I can establish communications, but maintaining a link can be a challenge
Will the KEYSPAN provide adequate connection between the PLC and PC?

The cable that Russ refers to eliminates the need for the RS232/RS485 converter.

Many USB/serial converters will work. The main issue is the fact that Logicmaster was written as a DOS application before USB came into widespread use. The last revision of Logicmaster did a decent job of miking it compatible with Windows, but it was done when Windows 98 was current.

Is the communication between the PLC and the PC configured in Comm Config Utility or in the logic master. Can anyone provide a manual that is specific to comms setup uploading and downloading from to controller. Thanks for your help.

Here is the Software Users Manual.
gfk0466l.pdf - Attachment for Documentation Record - DO552

This is from support.ge-ip.com

The hardware and software both have the same defaults so no adjustment is needed if the PLC and LM90 are at factory settings.

Hey thanks for all the help, it saved me a ton of work, this post was a lot of help http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=70100 Just got back from the plant, unfortunately after the power spike the plc lost its program, which they do not have I will have to contact the manufacturer of the equipment.
I still have a questions about the LM90.
Where do I store the user program for download, meaning if I get the program from the manufacturer of the equipment how do I get it to appear in the Folders in drawer window?
Again Thank You

Program.JPG

A Logicmaster project folder is a set of files in a subdirectory. Just copy the entire directory to the "LM90" directory.

There's a possibility the OEM will send you a backup folder created with Logicmaster's backup utility. If they do that you will first need to create a project folder and use Logicmaster's restore utility. You'll know they have used the Logicmaster backup utility if they send you four or five files with the suffix ".pk0", ".pkc", and others with "pk" as the firsttwo letters.

Also keep in mind the LM90 Program Folder naming rules:
1. No more than 7 characters, must begin with a-z.
2. The directory from Steve's instructions above MUST be the same name as was the original, or LM90 will not read the project. This directory name is the same as the "Program Folder" name.

If you do not know the original name you can only use the 'special' name "Test".

In your example above "TEST" is the directory name and the Folder Project name. If there is a backup of this program it is called "Backup" and is a child folder of the "Program Folder".

Last edited:
If you want to keep the program in the PLC through a power issue in the future, it might be a good idea to install an EEPROM chip in the program prom slot. Also check the condition of the battery.

Of course this might be throwing good money after bad with a nearly 20 year old PLC, but if it isn't completely broken...

@ Steve
There's a possibility the OEM will send you a backup folder created with Logicmaster's backup utility. If they do that you will first need to create a project folder and use Logicmaster's restore utility. You'll know they have used the Logicmaster backup utility if they send you four or five files with the suffix ".pk0", ".pkc", and others with "pk" as the firsttwo letters.
first need to create a project folder
*You meant F1 Select/Create a Program Folder?
What will the new created project be used for?
Logicmaster's restore utility
*You meant F5 Restore Contents of Current program?
Do I type in the directory of the program that the OEM sent?
Thank You Steve

untitled.jpg

@Russ
Also keep in mind the LM90 Program Folder naming rules:
1. No more than 7 characters, must begin with a-z.
2. The directory from Steve's instructions above MUST be the same name as was the original, or LM90 will not read the project. This directory name is the same as the "Program Folder" name.
Let's say the original sent to me by OEM is called "TEST1" it must be move to C:\LM90 directory.
Next in "PROGRAM FOLDER FUNCTIONS" "F1 Select/Create a Program Folder" of same name as original "TEST1"
Next F5 "Restore Contents of Current Program Folder"
Under Information to be restored select "Y" for YES "ENTIRE FOLDER" all others "N" for NO.
Did I somewhat get this right?

you want to keep the program in the PLC through a power issue in the future, it might be a good idea to install an EEPROM chip in the program prom slot. Also check the condition of the battery.

Of course this might be throwing good money after bad with a nearly 20 year old PLC, but if it isn't completely broken
thanks for advice. Battery looks ok did not see the light come on. I'm working on getting the EPROM order and installed to prevent any future program losses.