FTView ME Trend retention

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a way to set up the trending such that the data logging only stores just enough information in order to be able to maintain the chart data if you leave the screen and then come back later? Ideally the data logging would act like a FIFO of a size just large enough to span the length of my trend. Am I missing something fundamental?

Specifically I am using PVPlus Compact. FTView ME 6.10.
Trend is in continuous scroll mode.

You have to install a compact flash memory (PV rear side), create a datalog, add tags to the datalog, and use tags on the datalog to be displayed om your trends.
See attached figs.

datalog.jpg tags in datalog.jpg

You have to install a compact flash memory (PV rear side), create a datalog, add tags to the datalog, and use tags on the datalog to be displayed om your trends.
See attached figs.

Hi Widelto, I think you missed what I was really asking. The problem is that the Data Log just increases in size and becomes bloated with old data that is useless to me. I only care about the 2 minutes worth of data in the immediate past that is adequate to redraw the graph if I switch screens. The PVPlus Compact does not seem to handle large data logging files very well.

Damian:
My compact flash can handle up to 15 days (35 tags) of data taken every 2 minutes. You can increase sample time, let´s say every 10 seconds, this way your storage time is going to be shorter (do not know how long). Modify your screen so that only two minutes are shown on screen. You can also limit the amount of data points so that when limit is exceeded new data will replace old ones on the compact flash memory.

The Data Log is your only option.

The "Buffer Extra Data Points" feature of the Trend Object still only extends the Trend Object's runtime memory size. This lets you use the "VCR buttons" to scroll backwards to data that's aged off the left side of the trend.

But because it's still in the Trend Object's runtime memory, it's cleared out when the Display holding the Trend Object is closed.

If you're able to keep that Display running in the background, the Trend Object will stay running too.

Remind me to have a few drinks then start posting my feelings about the history, development, and support of the TrendX object in FTView ME.

Damian:
My compact flash can handle up to 15 days (35 tags) of data taken every 2 minutes. You can increase sample time, let´s say every 10 seconds, this way your storage time is going to be shorter (do not know how long). Modify your screen so that only two minutes are shown on screen. You can also limit the amount of data points so that when limit is exceeded new data will replace old ones on the compact flash memory.

I require a quick sample time or it washes out all the detail. I am also being asked to make the time scale larger not shorter.

Where is it that I can limit the amount of data points.

Just seems pretty lame that you have to jump through hoops just to make the trend object not wipe your pens every time. All the other manufacturers have it figured out.

The Data Log is your only option.

The "Buffer Extra Data Points" feature of the Trend Object still only extends the Trend Object's runtime memory size. This lets you use the "VCR buttons" to scroll backwards to data that's aged off the left side of the trend.

But because it's still in the Trend Object's runtime memory, it's cleared out when the Display holding the Trend Object is closed.

If you're able to keep that Display running in the background, the Trend Object will stay running too.

Remind me to have a few drinks then start posting my feelings about the history, development, and support of the TrendX object in FTView ME.

Thanks Ken, I'll see if I can't use the idea of keeping the trend in the background. If might be difficult but it is worth a try. The customer is literally considering going back to the standard PVPlus on upcoming machines just to get around this issue with the trends.

Based on you explanation I get the strong sense that the Trend object has been a sore spot for you over the years.

Thanks again.