I/P Address Modification on Online System Question.....

JoseM

Another question for you guys. I have this compact Logix PLC that is talking ethernet to an HMI screen. The I/P scheme that was used for this communication is in this fashion 10.10.99.XX.

What would it take for me to change the I/P addresses of these two items to match the I/P scheme I'm currently using in a network where I can access all my PLC's remotely.

Do I need to make this changes directly on each individual item and also through RSLinx Enterprise?

How can I do this if you guys don't mind me asking?

The compact can simply be done by going to the modules properties in a offline file. Once changed download back into the controller. I just done this last week and it worked just fine. The HMI might require BootP.

Are you sure that's the way it worked, MTech ? Could you have clicked an "apply changes" or "apply to module" button somewhere ?

My experience is that the TCP/IP Object in a ControlLogix 1756-ENBT or a CompactLogix EtherNet/IP daughtercard is stored in nonvolatile memory in the module itself, not in the controller's project file. While the project file has an entry for IP address in the -ENBT or daughtercard configuration window, it's essentially for show.

There might now be a feature where RSLogix 5000 compares the project file settings to the actual settings and can apply the new ones. That would make it much more like an SLC-5/05 or PLC-5E.

Your mention of RSLinx Enterprise, Jose, tells me you're using a PanelView Plus or FactoryTalk View ME/SE.

What I would do is:

1. Use RSLinx Classic to change the IP address of the CompactLogix controller's EtherNet/IP daughtercard. Cycle power to the CompactLogix.

2. Use the operating system tools to change the IP address of the HMI. On a PV+, use the Configuration Menu and cycle power when you are done. On a FTView system, use the Windows network configuration.

3. Re-define the RSLinx Classic Shortcut to point to the new IP address of the CompactLogix. If using a PV+, download this as a Runtime to the terminal.

It is a Panel View Plus 1400 I believe Ken to answer your question and I'm using Factory Talk View SE.

Ken, could you elaborate a little more on step three if you don't mind.

Last edited:
RSLinx Enterprise is the data provider that's used inside the PanelView Plus terminals and is usually used with FactoryTalk View SE as well.

The basic way that RSLinx Enterprise points to a controller is a "Shortcut". These are functionally very similar to OPC Topics in other data providers.

When you open up the RSLinx Enterprise configuration console, you will find a list of Shortcuts on the left side. Each of them has a path defined to an IP address (the 1756-ENxT or CompactLogix daughtercard) and through to a CPU.

It's important to define both the Development Shortcut and the Runtime Shortcut. They can be different, but most often they're the same. That's why there is a "Copy" button to copy the entire network schema from Development to Runtime.

This is a basic part of how FactoryTalk View communications is configured, so there's plenty of information in the user guides, the Knowledgebase, and here on PLCTalk.net. (y)

Ken, Your right I was totally of base with that.Sorry about that JoseM. Now that I have my brains with me the path that I took was as followed. Program was in program mode not offline (what was I thinking!). In my project tree I right clicked on the LocalEnB(ethernet port). Selected properties, tab to port configuration, I think I even enabled bootP in the selection box, changed my address then pressed set then apply. I think once I was done doing this I went to run mode, offline. Once I restarted linx it still saw the old IP. I selected this device then downloaded the project. Which resolved what I was doing. Again, sorry for any confusion. And don't forget to deselect bootP.

Now,for what I read on your reply it loos like that I will have to ask the OEM integrator of this equipment to help with this task because I don't have RSLinx Enterprise in our computers.

What our company use is RSLinx Classic which won't allow me to change does short cuts. Correct me if I'm wrong on this statement Ken.

Is it RSLinx Enterprise embedded on Factory Talk View SE?

If you own a licensed copy of FTV SE/ME then RSLinx Enterprise is part of the installation package and it is most likely running when FTV is running.
When you have a project opened up, the Communications tab of the FTV Explorer window is your RSLinx Enterprise interface; every time you access the project's Communications Settings folder you are invoking RSLinx Enterprise.
A bit confusing...I wish RA would come up with better differentiated graphics which would clearly enable the user to distinguish RSLinx Enterprise from RSLinx Classic...:mad:

Last edited:
Thank you dmargineau for the reply. After I posted I was thinking that it was probably part of the Factory Talk View SE/ME package.because I can see it on the tree on the left hand sideof the screen at the end.

I first changed the PV+ IP address because I knew that I will loose coomunication with the processor immediately and the "Config Screen"is password protected.

Then I was be to change the IP address on the compactLogix daughter card using the RSLinx classic without any incident.

My main struggle was re-defining the short-cut to have it point to the 1769-L32E processor. I couldn't get the "Apply" button to showed up on the left pane of the communication setup screen.

Rather than "editing" the existing RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut, I find the "Reset Configuration" button extremely helpful.
Once the configuration to be edited is properly documented "Reset Configuration" will delete all the "connections memory" used under the previous setup and allows the user to recreate the paths the application will use after deployment.