Hall Effect Sensor

Good day,

Has anyone had experience with using hall effect sensors? I know that they work on changes in a magnetic field to produce and output voltage. I'm looking to use it in an environment that can be quite dusty at time, the dust being metalic. The target I'm going to be "sensing" is a metal gear. Has anyone such a sensor in such environment?? I've looked on line but have not found any info on using it in such an environment. I'm wondering if it would cause "sensing" issue??

Thank you all for any insight.

Andrew Evenson

We have been using 24vdc digital hall effect sensors on TOL-O-MATIC linear stages for quite a few years.
It is pretty dirty and most of the dust is metalic/scale, however, we have yet to replace any.
I believe their operatibility is ensured and maintained by being operated via magnets attached to the "business end" of the axii. This way only specific magnetic field changes will be detected as a "change of state".
I guess you could experiment with permanent magnets attached to the "trigger" and come up with the right hall effect sensor-magnet strength pairing.

Last edited: