panelview300 micro communication

timsummo

Hi,
I have a Panelview300 micro and not able to get to the configuration menu. Since the left and right button was programmed as function key, hold these two buttons is not able to get there. Unfortunetaly, there is no "GOTO" screen programmed and I have no communication to it. Is there anyway I can do it ?I was thinking remove battery to remove any application program but no battery inside.
Thanks!

I really dont know the answer, just guessing, but try pressing the Right and Left buttons simultaneously and then press the Enter (Store) button. According to one manual that performs a reset. Maybe try holding down all three buttons then apply power.
Another manual, in this link, on page 21, says call Technical Support for assistance.
Link:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/2711-in008_-en-p.pdf
Here's a link to the users manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
Hi, the complete part number is 2711-M3A18L1 ser A
I tried "hold left and right button and then press enter", it reset the terminal but won't go to configuration menu. It automatically runs the application.
I am thinking if I drain the power for the panel, it might clear all the application then I can go to configuration menu. But there is no battery inside. Anybody know how long will the panel sustain the file?

Hi, the complete part number is 2711-M3A18L1 ser A

Luckily, you have DF1 communications. You should be able to use a programming cable, Panelbuilder32 and RSLinx with a DF1 driver to download a new program with a goto config screen button.

The most common cable to use is 1761-CBL-PM02 which is also used to program the Micrologix units.

timsummo said:
I tried "hold left and right button and then press enter", it reset the terminal but won't go to configuration menu.
I believe that since those keys have been programmed as function keys, they will not get you to the config screen.

timsummo said:
Anybody know how long will the panel sustain the file?
Nearly forever. I have stored them on the shelf for years pre-programmed.

You are the right. The two buttons are programmed as function keys. But this one was configured as DH485 communication. And I am not able to communicate with it even I use a UIC box.

You are the right. The two buttons are programmed as function keys. But this one was configured as DH485 communication. And I am not able to communicate with it even I use a UIC box.

As OkiePC said the catalog number says it's a DF1 protocol PV. What makes you think it's DH485?

You can change the protocol with a firmware change, has that been done?

Can you post the PV's program ( zip it first). Or post the PLC's program and tell us the port the PV is connected to. Again zip it first.

Last edited:
Even if it's been converted to DH485 protocol, you can use the same cable to "talk" to it. You will need a PC with a real serial port, though, and have to use a different driver, perhaps an older version (than current) of RSLinx.

I know it is DH485 because it is networked with PLC through a AIC module and I communicate with them through UIC box all the time. I know the part number is confusing and when I ordered a new panel with this part number, it comes with DF1 configured. How I can convert it to DH485? Is the firmware available from Rockwell website? Anyway, right now the problem is I am not even able to talk to it. I tried DF1 and DH485 both. I believe i have to delete the program iside some how first. I don't have zip software yet, I'll try to find one and send you the zip file.

I know it is DH485 because it is networked with PLC through a AIC module and I communicate with them through UIC box all the time. I know the part number is confusing and when I ordered a new panel with this part number, it comes with DF1 configured. How I can convert it to DH485? Is the firmware available from Rockwell website?
Yes, but I think it is buried inside the knowledgebase articles.

timsummo said:
Anyway, right now the problem is I am not even able to talk to it. I tried DF1 and DH485 both.
To communicate using DH485, you should use the UIC driver. Tell us more about this.

timsummo said:
I believe i have to delete the program iside some how first.
I don't think that is possible, but I do recall a thread on here that Ken Roach posted a while back...It may not apply to the micro, however.

timsummo said:
I don't have zip software yet, I'll try to find one and send you the zip file.
Just right click the file, "Send to -> compressed (zipped) folder".

Another thing, are there more than two devices on the DH485 network? If only the PV300 and a single PLC, switch them to DF1, swap in your spare already set up for DF1 and make life easier next time you need to replace it or edit the software.

Frimware (techconnect access required):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25367

And, if you get tired of diddling around with the PV300 micro, you might want to look at this one:
http://www.redlion.net/Products/Groups/OperatorInterface/G304K/Docs/07040.pdf

It can do DF1 or DH485 (or a number of other serial protocols) and is much less a PITA, not to mention lightning fast and more powerful. I changed a PV300 micro to the G304K about two years ago due to a high failure rate, and have had no more troubles. I did have to modify the panel cutout slightly (apx. 1/8" bigger hole).

Last edited: