Having one of those days...weeks.

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a simple project of putting a HMI on a Micrologix 1200. Using a Red Lion G3 to talk DF1. Using CBLGEN01 to PM02 cable to connect.

This is where it goes downhill. Something is bad wrong electrically with this setup. The first screen with homemade cable to diagram (or so I thought) got hot and screen died. Sent that out for repair and got another screen out of stock. Hooked up to the ML1200 with the PM02 cable to verify port was DF1 and working properly. Got online with RSlogix without issue.

Hooked up new G3 with a cable from RedLion. UH OH:mad: Magic Smoke.

Now I am so gun shy I don't know what to do.

I can still go online with the ML1200. I would think if the Micrologix port was bad it would fry my Dell laptop.

Any advice.....🍻

Try connecting to it using a USB to serial adapter. Better to fry that than your laptop.
Have never seen let alone use a red lion hmi, so cannot help with connection.

Last edited:
Glenn I haven't had that problem before. I would be looking for something weird with the port wiring. Does the 1200 have dual comm ports?

I know you said the port was DF1. My first thought was it was configured for DH-485. That one is kind of odd.

Do you have a faulty earth somewhere and the Comms cable is allowing heavy current to go to ground via the Redlion ? I had a case several years ago where we had a faulty earth connection on Siemens PLC and we managed to fry the comm port on out programming laptop.

Started with a G306. Then a G303.

Now I just finished a bench test with another G303 and a NEW ML1200. No Smoke Yippeee....

The com light on the ML1200 is blinking, but the RedLion is not updating anything yet. I checked all Com settings and they match. I will call Red Lion tomorrow to get some help with setup. Just glad no smoke.

Started with a G306. Then a G303.

Now I just finished a bench test with another G303 and a NEW ML1200. No Smoke Yippeee....

The com light on the ML1200 is blinking, but the RedLion is not updating anything yet. I checked all Com settings and they match. I will call Red Lion tomorrow to get some help with setup. Just glad no smoke.

Did you get this resolved? If not let me know and we can try some things.

Thanks
Jeremy

StephenH helped me get the bench top setup working. We had some strange behavior going on but eventually got everything working. I am installing tomorrow and have purchased a RS232 isolator to put between the PM02 cable and the CBLGEN01 to hopefully isolate any stray induced voltage from destroying another display.

On the three units that have been destroyed there is a burned up component on the RS232 Comms port connection and it appears to have taken out the power supply. There are 400hp motor leads running right next to the ML1200 and I am thinking the grounding is not good. Tomorrow I will insure that the PLC an G303 share a good common ground before applying any cables or power.

Thanks,
Glenn