Communication between Networks on separate subnets ??

JoseM

I need your help ones again Gentlemen. The diagram posted shows in a big picture what the network in our production floor looks like. You guys already help me with this network before but this is a new challenge I've being presented with.

I just added a connection (Red Arrows) from the network 199.199.xxx.xxx to a network on a different subnet 192.168.xxx.xxx which is connected to the Hirschmann switch via a fiber optic connection.

I want to know, How can I access the four (4) plc's I have on network 192.168.xxx.xxx from my laptop which is on network 199.199.xxx.xxx

Network Configuration.jpg

change your IP address to the other network? When working on several different networks it's important to remember to have your IP set correctly. If you're trying to access separate networks, switching IPs seems to work. Otherwise, mapping the networks out in RSLinx seems to work but is more time consuming/difficult to do but can be worth it if -say- you have a wireless network which is tied in to a machine that doesn't have a convenient place to plug in to.
Don't know if that helps, but I hope it does.
A353322

Changing the IP address on network 192.168.xxx.xxx to match 199.199.xxx.xxx is almost an impossible task because there is a lot more than just four (4) PLC's. We are talking several HMI's, Visual Basic applications, database applications, etc.

I guess, I will check into RSLinx and how to map separate networks if its possible.

A router can bridge the two networks. A router will be able to direct any traffic from a subnet to an address outside of it's subnet. Similar to how your current router directs the internet traffic outside the network.

I'm only a little versed in networks, but the router would likely be on the 192.168.X.X subnet, and it's WAN would be connected to the 199.199.X.X network... maybe others would be able to guide you further? I don't know how the routers would have to be configured in terms of port forwarding, etc, to allow RSLinx to communicate across them.

Tharon,

So you're saying that if I put a router where one of the LAN port is connected to the 192.168.xxx.xxx and the WAN port or Internet port is connected to the 199.199.xxx.xxx network I might be able to do some routing so they can both talk.

The switch that has your 2 red arrows needs to be configured for routing to those ports, if it is possible on that switch. Your gateway to the red arrow network will be the switch.
Alternatively, you can dual home your PC. XP has a routing service built in but not enabled. It is possible to add a second nic and enable routing.
As a side note, unless you own or lease 199.199.x.x, you better hope your DSL router doesn't leak. If it does, the guy that actually owns 199.199.x.x is going to be p!ssed if you pollute his DNS.

The switch you see on the picture is just a Hirschmann switch with fiber optic connection, non-configurable. This switch is located where the Logix PLC on the picture is located. The fiber optic then goes from that switch to another panel in the production floor where there is another Hirschmann switch.

Here is where I have an Ethernet cable that comes out of one of the ports to another 16 port regular Netgear switch where the 192.168.xxx.xxx network is connected.

I want to be able to go to RSLinx on my laptop which is part of 199.199.xxx.xxx look at my network and being able to see the PLC on the 192.168.xxx.xxx network and do uploads, download, online monitoring, etc.

Basically, You want a proper layer 3 capable switch(or router) that can setup a gateway to allow you to route between the 2 networks.
I would enlist the service of a proper network engineer/tech to assist with this.

IMO, You have thousands of dollars of Process equipment, which costs money when it goes down/isn't accessible. I wouldn't use a 75$ home router for that.

That said, Yes you could make it work.

This connection I'm trying to accomplished between these two networks is not necessary to the normal operation of the production facility. It's only going to be used by me to access the PLC's from network 192.168.xxx.xxx remotely for troubleshooting purposes.

Looks like both subnets are /will be on the same lan via the Hirschman switch? You could simply add an additional nic to a pc, hook both cables to the same switch or same lan (each with an ip on a different subnet), and enable routing service. You'll need to build your routing table as well.
With that said, you won't be the only to have access to that subnet.
Most of the home use routers are designed to seperate WAN from private lan. The lan addresses are hidden from the WAN.

I was able to make it work using the DLink router. This is what end up doing,

Network A is connected on LAN port of router
IP: 199.199.xxx.3
Mask: 255.255.255.0

Network B is connected on WAN Port of router
IP: 192.168.xxx.1
Gateway: 192.168.xxx.201
DNS: 192.168.xxx.200

Here is the static route I created on wireless Router on Network A,

Destination: 192.168.xxx.0
Gateway: 199.199.xxx.3
Metric: 2

Network.jpg

Last edited:
What I need to do now is see how can I add a shortcut on RSLinx that points to the IP addresses of the PLC's I have on Network B (192.168.xxx.xxx). Any suggestion guys.