Setting PG/PC Interface S7

Theboss

Good day people. I'm having difficulty communicating with s7 300 PLC. i have a PC Adapter v5.1 6ES7 972-0CA23-0XA0(MPI-RS232). I also have a RS232-USB cable, which connect to PC Adapter.Im not sure if i need drivers for the RS232-USB converter or whether this sort of connection is permitted(having two comm conversions) ???o_O

I believe that the serial PC Adapter will only work with a real serial port. It wont work with a USB-to-serial adapter in between.

The USB PC Adapter is not so expensive, and significantly faster than the serial PC Adapter.

If you mean the connection on the MPI/DP side of the PC Adapter, then you should use a straight serial cable between the adapter and the PLC.
The cable must be male-male.

Between the adapter and the PC, you must use a crossed serial cable with female connectors at both ends (aka null-modem cable).

I use the serial lead on two seperate computers with usb/serial converters.

Open "System/hardware/device manager" and make sure the usb/serial port is recognised (Mine comes up as COM 2). If not, perhaps the driver is missing.

In the "SET PG interface" make sure that you have the same number com port selected. Connect the USB serial adapter first. Check also the switch setting on the MPI adapter is the same as is set in the PG interface. (38400)

markie, you have the standard serial PC adapter working with a USB-to-serial adapter ?
I guess it can be done then.

In this FAQ under point 3 it says:
Note:

The following connections are not possible with a PC or USB adapter:
  • Setup via parallel-serial converter or USB-serial converter.

I've used the Keyspan USA-19HS USB-serial adapter with the 6ES7-672-0CA23-0XA0 PC adapter to connect to S7-300 processors. After using Ethernet or the USB model, it's painfully slow, but it works.

I also have the same adapter and it works with my USB to Serial adapter. Just a Gigaware I picked up one day at RadioShack.

Their FAQ may just say that so they don't have to bother troubleshooting support calls about why certain ones don't work. I have a USB to Serial adapter from AB that won't work with the adapter, but the Gigaware USB to Serial works just fine. The AB one I have will "see" but drops connection repeatedly and won't allow you to monitor or use the Upload Station to PG option without failing.

I guess the basic question to ask, does the 6ES7 972-0CA23-0XA0 adapter power up when you plug it into the MPI port? It may or may not have power available.

If it is powered up, it may be an incompatibility with your USB to Serial adapter. Not all of them will work with the MPI adapter.

I use the 19200 setting. I don't think I actually never tried changing that and just had to look it up (must have been the default setting).

I leave the Windows COM port settings alone. It seems to figure out what to on its own. The switch on the PC adapter is set to 38.4, so that's what I select when I set the PG/PC Interface.

Just had a thought If you have any Rockwell software on your computer - you will have to shut it down as it grabs the com port and won't let S7 work - it MIGHT bring up a "Not available" message but I cannot remember!!!

i use 38400 also.

As long as you don't have any drivers that use the COM port installed in RSLinx, you should be OK. At least in my experience. I think using a USB COM port actually makes this easier since RSLinx doesn't know to grab it until it's too late.

Yes, I use the same USB to serial adapter for AB as I do for siemens, and the same COM port settings. So if I want to use Step 7 I have to make sure RSLinx is not running.

But I do believe that brings up a COM port not available type alarm.