Allen Bradley EtherIp and serial communications

vtfan

I have a request to gather some information on a problem and think this would be the best spot.

I have a client who has a bar code reader. The bar code reader's output is RS232. From this, the client would like to put the data on Ethernet and read the data into a PLC (not sure of the model) through the Ethernet interface.

The client wants to use a standard off the shelf RS232-Ethernet converter.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pat

Since you specifically mentioned EthernetIP I assume that this is for contrologix. You might want to look at the "Digi One IA RealPort" from www.digi.com They mention EtherNetIP support but I can not find a specific example.

The next suggestion would be if you need some programability on the other end would be to use the 750-841 Programmable Controller from WAGO. (This is the bleeding edge). After March they should have out the updated firmware that will allow you to map the process memory area of the WAGO controller as I/O on the Ethernet Brige module (ControlLogix). The 750-841 has many types of serial ports that are available and a good selection of I/O (scan times are very respectable).

Darren

[After more looking...]

It looks like that unless your barcode scanner is using DF1 to communicate that the Digi terminal server is out of the question. So that leaves the bleeding edge(as far as I am aware of, what ever that is worth). I have sucessfully used the 750-841 for a CIP I/O connection to read the status of the I/O attached to the wago controller from the ControlLogix. Once they release the firmware update where you can also map additional process memory from the wago that you can manipulate in the Wago program will most likely be the least expensive way out. In the past I have also used the MicroLogix 1500 with the multiple serial ports. One serial port was attached to the bar code reader and the other was attached to the NET-ENI module. I could message the bar code information to a SLC 5/05.

Last edited:
RS-232 to Ethernet, Ethernet/IP, PROFINET, Modbus TCP

******* offers one product which would allow connectivity of RS-232/422/485 devices to any of 4 different Ethernet protocols (all easily configurable).

The DeviceMaster UP offers a software selectable RS-232/422/485 option, as well a the ability to choose Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, PROFINET, Modbus TCP, or standard TCP/IP as your Industrial Ethernet protocol.

For additional details, either contact me at 763-494-4144 or visit the ******* website at www.*******.com

Jason Reiling

You're not going to get an ordinary RS-232/Ethernet gateway to work with this setup, at least none that I'm aware of.

I'd use a 1734-AENT EtherNet/IP POINT I/O adapter and a POINT ASCII module (1734-232ASC). I've used these with several RS232 modules to bring in groups of barcode reader data and they work fine once you get the I/O size configuration figured out.

Barcode scanner to PLC

"You're not going to get an ordinary RS-232/Ethernet gateway to work with this setup" - Right you are Ken!

The DeviceMaster UP, when configured for use with Ethernet/IP actually writes the ASCII data to a tag on the PLC. Easy to configure and offers sample programs for copy/paste into the PLC program as well.

Contact me for details or an evaluation if interested.

Jason Reiling
763-494-4144

...business ad here?

Anyway, next FW release 3.x for 1756-EWEB will support RAW ASCII via Ethernet socket interface.
Will ENBT support it also? Possibly but not right away.

I just had a look at the website mentioned. A whole lot of good reference material on there and the serial to EnetIP devicee does look interesting.
Regards Alan

I believe there is a difference

business ad here?
The poster requested information for a specific product and DeviceMaster happens to represent a company that has the product. I would hope that when a specific product OR specific product information is needed that a Manufacturer's representative wiil be a member to offer the information.

If this wasnt possible then those that represented Omron, AB, etc etc wouldnt be allowed to mention using CJ.. or CLX... or 1756... etc.

I would suggest DeviceMaster that you create a "signature" with your website and any pertinent information you want to share.

rsdoran said:
The poster requested information for a specific product and DeviceMaster happens to represent a company that has the product. I would hope that when a specific product OR specific product information is needed that a Manufacturer's representative wiil be a member to offer the information.

I have nothing agains posting information as a direct answer to someone's request.
But I think it makes no sence to bring year old post to life just to show nice product you have. It should other way of doing this... like signature you mentioned for example.

I posted this back in Feb. I got online today to post something different and all the sudden this topic came back up. I'm not sure why. At the time I was asking, I was looking to quote a job and was looking for advise on bar codes via Ethernet.

My opinion on salesman sporting their stuff on this site is not good. I like this site because there is a lot of experience with different products and equipment integration. I can always call my local sales rep's and get the "you can use this product". How many of us have been burned by that in the past.

Anyway, just my opinion. Thanks to all for contributing answers.