Standard PanelView Alarms

paulrae

Can someone help me set up an alarm banner for a standard PanelView 1000? I am using a 1747-L541C processor and a 2711-K10G8 display. This is my first time attempting this and I am completely lost. A good step by step tutorial starting from the beginning would be greatly appreciated.I have the basic banner and alarm list screens built in the PanelBuilder 32 software, but I am at a loss as to how to actually create the alarm messages.

Thank You Fuzzy Logic.
I completely missed the CTL M and the right click keystrokes when I browsed that document the first time. It pays to read closely and avoid distractions I can se.

Well, I just am not understanding something here. I have tried this a number of ways and just cannot seem to get anything to work. Zipped program copies are attached, could someone take alook at them and give me some direction that I can understand?

You need to create a Tag in the tag editor called "Alarm_Block1" ( you can name this anything you want) use address N11:0/0 sense your alarms start at N11:0/1. It's best to start at the beginning of a word for this usage. See picture below called "Alarm_Block 1"

Then go to alarm triggers and use "Alarm_Block1" as your trigger tag. See picture below
" trigger type", change trigger type to "Bit".

Then go to Alarm Messages and change the "Value/Bit as shown, this is a offset value
starting a bit N11:0/0= offset value 0.

Value/Bit
N11:0/0 = 0
N11:0/1 = 1
N11:0/2 = 2
N11:0/3 = 3
N11:0/4 = 4

N11:1/0 = 16

Do you see the pattern.

To get the "Banner to show you must check the display column.

See picture below

And here is a link to the manual chapter 5

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/2711-gr003_-en-p.pdf

Hope this helps.

alarm_Block1.png triggerType.png displayMessage.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Mickey. I had most of that done allready, but not correctly. There is still one thing bothering me. I was looking through okd posts concerning this subject an found one you poased back in 2009, on May 16. Reading this post, I have the display column fo Alarm Messages unchecked for all alarm messages. I have only an alarm history page constructed, no banner page. In the Alarm History page,for the alarm list object properties I do not see a place to check show inactive. I do not want to use a banner at all if I can get away from it. This information was obtained from a thread started by "clank" on May 16th 2009, at 09:19 AM

Double click the "Alarm List Object" on the screen, you will then see "Alarm Display Options"

See picture below.

Also you can set the number of alarms the display will show before removing them, max is 100. This option is under alarm setup.
See picture below

displayinactive.jpg numberofalarms.jpg

Well I cannot get it to validate and load. I keep getting the following message: Error (9204) - Application Settings Tag:'Alarms" - Tag/Object data type mismatch

Well I got rid of the 'Alarms' error, but it changed to the following: Error (9204) - Application Settings Tag:'Alarms_Block' - Tag/Object data type mismatch
o_O To the left is how I feel right now.

Why did you put the Alarm_Block tag in the "Control Tags" screen number Tag?

That is used to control which screen number comes up on the PV display, if you want to control that, the Tag has to be a word level with a value in it not a bit.

I deleted that and the project validates ok. Some warnings but no errors.

See picture

control_Tags.png

I figured out what the error issue was all about. It was me misunderestanding the control tag useage. Thanks for all the help and your patience with me (y). Looks like a learning experience with control tags coming up.o_O

So for a control tag I could use the address N11:99.
I would have to set up my Logix progem to write the screen number I want to go to into that address (screen number 8) and then set up a clear screen option in the PanelView display so that when I select it to clear the screen it would write a 0 to the N11:99 address to clear the screen from the PanelView display?
I could not find clear directions that I could understand using the help system in the PanelBuilder 32 software.o_O

That's one way. Another is to use the the "Status Tag" which the PV writes to indicating which screen the PV is displaying. So after you move to the screen you want you then
compare that to the status register, if they are equal you then move a zero or clear the register you use for your screen number ( N11:99) in your case, after a short time period if necessary.

see picture for status tag.

You could also just time it, move 11 to N11:99 then give it a couple of seconds for the PV to respond then clear N11:99.

status_Tag.png

Last edited: