Sending e-mails from a CompactLogix.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,
I have CompactLogix 1769-L33ER processor and I'm trying to send an e-mail from it.
I'm following the instructions from this document, chapter 7:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/enet-um001_-en-p.pdf

What I get is an error #1 ("Connection failure"), extended error #100 ("Connection in use").

I've read a lot about it on internet and in manuals, but I haven't been able to fix this issue.
On the other hand, I have successfully sent e-mails from a Red Lion G310 using the same connection and similar configuration.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, dmargineau.
I had already looked at the manual you sent.
I'm attaching the Communication and Configuration tabs for both messages.
My topology is very simple: PLC -> Ethernet Switch -> LAN

e_mail_01.jpg e_mail_02.jpg e_mail_03.jpg e_mail_04.jpg

I just tested 1769-L36E v20 with a known code I have from 2005 and it works just fine.

from the manual:
Ext error 16#0100:
Error returned by email server; check the Destination string for reason. The email message was not queued for delivery.

Basically SMTP server rejected connection

The Communication Tab of the Message Configuration tab contains the routing of the data transfer.
"1" is the system backplane. It should be followed by the onboard EtherNet/IP port number (usually "1" or "2") and then by the IP addresses of the devices within the path's topology (managed switches, SMTP Server, etc.)
Use the "Browse" button and "find your way" to the SMTP server.
Do you have any I/O networking using the controller's built-in EtherNet/IP port?
Is the controller's IP address compatible with the path intended for the MSG data transfer?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the CIP Path. The Ethernet module itself sends the email message, rather than the ControlLogix/CompactLogix CPU.

When you're using a 1756-EWEB or 1756-EN2T, the Ethernet module is easy to point to: the CIP Path is "1, s" where s is the slot number of the Ethernet module.

With CompactLogix the embedded Ethernet module is typically considered to be in Slot 1, and the CPU in Slot 0.

Your CIP Path is "1, 0", which I think sends the e-mail message to the CPU. Try "1, 1".

I'm saying "typically" because my experience was with 1769-L35E and -L32E controllers. I have not used the new generation CompactLogix 5370 controllers.

I've opened one of the 1769-L33ER in RSLogix 5000 v20 and the Ethernet daughtercard icons look different from the previous generation. Hmm....

The Communication Tab of the Message Configuration tab contains the routing of the data transfer.
"1,0" doesn't quite look right.
"1" is the system backplane. It should be followed by the onboard EtherNet/IP port number (usually "2") and then by the IP addresses of the devices within the path's topology (managed switches, SMTP Server, etc.)
"1,0" is the only path the "Message Path Browser" allows me to select.

Do you have any I/O networking using the controller's built-in EtherNet/IP port?
No, I don't. In addition to that, since this is a test PLC, I disabled all the I/O modules defined in the project.

Is the controller's IP address compatible with the path intended for the MSG data transfer?
Could you be more specific?

With CompactLogix the embedded Ethernet module is typically considered to be in Slot 1, and the CPU in Slot 0.

Your CIP Path is "1, 0", which I think sends the e-mail message to the CPU. Try "1, 1".
Unfortunately, "1,0" is the only path the "Message Path Browser" allows me to select...

Can you "ping" the controller from the SMTP server's vantage point?
If you are able to do so, then it is a SMTP server credentials issue.
If you cannot "ping" the controller's IP address, then the communications path cannot be established due to addressing incompatibility(ies).
Unfortunately I cannot replicate your particular scenario, however, I agree with Ken. I believe "1,0" routes the MSG to the controller.

Last edited:
Upon further review, I think the CIP Path of "1, 0" is correct for this model of controller.

I found a related Knowledgebase document that discusses the simplified CompactLogix 5370 family Ethernet port:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/467768

The I/O tree and this Knowledgebase document suggest that the EtherNet/IP interface of the 5370 family is integral to the controller, rather than treated as a separate device on the virtual backplane.

The presence of TCP Sockets support on the new 1769-L1/L2/L3 controllers was a big technical discussion point, so there's got to be some documentation that nails this down definitively.

If this were my system, I'd mirror a switch port and use Wireshark to see what's actually going out over the wire to the e-mail server. SMTP is a very well understood protocol, so a capture of the actual transaction on the wire (especially when compared to another device like the Red Lion G3) is going to be very useful information.

All new compact logix with dual port have path 1,0
Could you post that code?
I will not post my code since it uses my email addresses, I don't want to expose them.
I used sample from the knowledge base.

Why everybody are trying to guess?
User manual clearly stated to check message destination string.
Did you check it? It will be clear text message in this string.

BTW, Rockwell Webinar will be coming in a near future "How to send emails and text messages from Logix controllers"

Last edited:
Can you "ping" the controller from the SMTP server's vantage point?
Excuse my ignorance, what is the "SMTP server's vantage point"?
Regarding accessibility, I repeat, the HMI connected to the same switch (and using the same e-mail server) is able to send e-mails. When I execute telnet {e-mail sever name} 25, I get connection.

If this were my system, I'd mirror a switch port and use Wireshark to see what's actually going out over the wire to the e-mail server. SMTP is a very well understood protocol, so a capture of the actual transaction on the wire (especially when compared to another device like the Red Lion G3) is going to be very useful information.
I downloaded Wireshark but I'm learning how to use it. How do you mirror a switch port?

I will not post my code since it uses my email addresses, I don't want to expose them.
I used sample from the knowledge base.
I was not expecting a code with an e-mail address, not even an e-mail server address. I just wanted to see if I was missing something, in the message configuration especially. I used the sample code from the manual.
Why everybody are trying to guess?
User manual clearly stated to check message destination string.
Did you check it? It will be clear text message in this string.
OK, I checked. I got an incomplete message "nable to connect to SMTP" (I guess the incomplete word is "Unable"). But I got it a couple of times only, the rest of the time (and it has been dozens of trial) the string is empty.

BTW, Rockwell Webinar will be coming in a near future "How to send emails and text messages from Logix controllers"
Great news! This will be very helpful since the existing documentation doesn't help much when you need to troubleshoot.