xp mode conversion

RobWad

I just downloaded xp mode on windows 7 laptop. I got rslinx classic, and rslogix 5 successfully downloaded. I can open both up just cant communicate with the plc5. I am using a usb to DH+ also tried a 1747 UIC converter with a RJ45 cable. I cannot successfully configure drivers in linx. I used rs232 driver type, 1770-KF3/1747-KE device, PLC-CHO device many different ways. Any ideas? Thanks!

In xp mode you need to attach your hardware. at the top you will see usb click on it and attach your device you then can install your driver for the hardware just like you would in xp. select the comm port in device manager and set up your Rs linx the same. remeber when switching from xp mode to windows 7 you need to attach your device to use it in xp mode and release it to use back on windows 7.

Yes, thank you I already got that far. I still can't see the processor in my who active even after all that. I thought maybe I wasn't using the right converter. Have you ever used the 1747-UIC converter? Also thought maybe not using the right device type baud rate etc... Any other ideas? Thanks for reply!

Switch to vmware player. Never had any issues with ab comms, modbus loop backs for testing, or any siemens mpi ppi or profinet.

Switch to vmware player. Never had any issues with ab comms, modbus loop backs for testing, or any siemens mpi ppi or profinet.

Also to note; you can convert your Win7 XP mode to VMware Player.

Agreed... I never had much luck with XP Mode. It didn't play well with most of my programming software. VMWare Player, on the other hand, works fabulously! And imports the free XP Mode. I think I've shared this simple 'how to' link before...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1091...s-7-machines-without-hardware-virtualization/

🍻

-Eric

Did the Vmware work for you Rob?

I have the same issues on my windows7 (panasonic toughbook)computer, with xp mode installed with rs linx 2.59 and logix 500 (v7)in it.
I can see the UIC in rslinx, I can configure it ok, the drivers installed ok, the USb connection is attached in xp mode, but I can not see the slc 504 or my slc 503 which are both DH485 (rj45 type) connections. I get a solid green on the "OK" and a solid green on the "USB" led's on the UIC, I see nothing on the DH485 side.

I also tried Oracle's virtual box with Xp and put rs logix/rslinx on it (in it?), no luck same issue.

just curious to know.
thanks
for the Vmware idea guys.

I've successfully communicated with SLC 5/04's, Micrologix', and Panelview's via DH485 using the 1747-UIC adapter on my Win XP virtual machine.

Screenshots of RSLinx attached below.

1747-UIC drivers installed and set up as COM4 on my VM (it currently shows PORT CONFLICT as the device is not connected).

VM_1747-UIC_Setup.jpg

Thanks for the post Brendan, That looks like my set-up as well.

I am starting to suspect I have either a bad cable, or, someone has used the wrong cable from the UIC to the SLC, and possibly damaged the UIC, I have tried with multiple computers now, and none will of them see the PLC, they only see the UIC, DH485 led wont come on unless I unplug the usb from the pc.
I wish we still had tech connect support here in our factory.

I use VMWare Workstation, which isn't free, but it's awesome! If you like VMWare Player (the free version) and find it useful, I'd move up to workstation.

Thanks for the link, like every other project here at work, this one is being shelfed for a more pressing programming issue on another line, I will look into the UIC issue again at a later date.

Cheers.