OT - iPad (or Android) with AB software

mae

Has anyone figured out a way to use an iPad with Rockwell's software. I could really see some advantages to having the portability of an iPad if it would work. I know you can take you laptop out in the field, but I have an what my company calls an "Engineering Laptop" and it is bulky and heavy. I just think it would be cool to have an iPad with WiFi and be able to walk around and make small changes. My son just got one and it doesn'y evenhave a USB port on it, so I'm pretty sure that the iPad will never work, but does anyone use anything similar? Just throwing this out there for discussion!

Mike

🍻

One of the sales reps I use has an app on his iphone that Remote Desktops into his windows PC. That could work if your enginnering laptop and PLC's are available on the network...

After carrying a T4 through an airport, anything lighter is a plus.

geeks.com has a Dell 620 laptop for less than 200 bucks, serial port included! ...if you were headed that direction... i haven't seen a "bulky and heavy" laptop in quite a while.

Check out my new laptop it is a Dell Precision M6600. The power supply weights 3.5 lbs just by itself!

I can't find the geeks link to the d620, le sigh. I've found out you need an indestructible cheapo laptop in some cases. My fellow techs at work have destroyed 2 standard laptops, one of them twice. I can't convince our IT guy to buy cheapos and save one or two in a closet, lol. About to buy my own and lock it up somewhere.

The 6600 isn't meant to work on the floor. Without a cart.

The 6600 isn't meant to work on the floor. Without a cart.

Disagree. When I am on the floor every laptop I have used ended up sitting on something, my lap, wire reals, chairs, tables, control panels, totes, drums...

Doesn't matter what laptop you have, if you need to work on something for more than 5 minutes you are setting your laptop down regardless. I love my 6600, wouldn't trade it for anything. 17" is rather large, I travel with it all the time and I don't have any problems with it. I won't pull it out and work on it if I am flying coach, but it is very rare that I work while flying.

If I was 5'4", the laptop might be a tad large for me, good thing I'm over 6' ;)

As for the iPad. Simply remote desktop application is the solution. Use my iPad all the time for IO checkout.

In reply to Mr. Paully's5.0 - As for the iPad. Simply remote desktop application is the solution. Use my iPad all the time for IO checkout.

Are you able to make edits to the program or is this just a read only program. My thoughts are really in the field I would like to be able to make changes but being able to see if the I/O is transitioning would be very useful to me.

Disagree. When I am on the floor every laptop I have used ended up sitting on something, my lap, wire reals, chairs, tables, control panels, totes, drums...

Doesn't matter what laptop you have, if you need to work on something for more than 5 minutes you are setting your laptop down regardless.
Speaking of finding a place to put your laptop... Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.deskspaceanyplace.com/index.html

When at a customer, I often can't find a decent place to work. The thoughtful customers will find me a cart, but that's not always the case. More often than not, I'm balancing my laptop somewhere awkward, praying that no one trips on the cables and yanks it to the floor. This has already happened to me twice... :rolleyes:

The product in the link I posted looks interesting, but also seems pretty flimsy. I would think by now someone would have designed a rolling laptop case that transforms into a sturdy work surface... :unsure:

🍻

-Eric

In reply to Mr. Paully's5.0 - As for the iPad. Simply remote desktop application is the solution. Use my iPad all the time for IO checkout.

Are you able to make edits to the program or is this just a read only program. My thoughts are really in the field I would like to be able to make changes but being able to see if the I/O is transitioning would be very useful to me.

You can if you wanted, I have not tried it because if I need to make programming changes I probably have to bounce around the PLC programming software so my laptop is preferred. I don't think doing that on the iPad would be very efficient. But, I could.

I'm really wanting to try and justify buying one so that I can see the benefits. Any suggestions on how to sell this to my manager? He wants the latest and greatest, I just have to have the justification for it. What would be the greatest use other than just checking I/O.

Speaking of finding a place to put your laptop... Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.deskspaceanyplace.com/index.html

When at a customer, I often can't find a decent place to work. The thoughtful customers will find me a cart, but that's not always the case. More often than not, I'm balancing my laptop somewhere awkward, praying that no one trips on the cables and yanks it to the floor. This has already happened to me twice... :rolleyes:

The product in the link I posted looks interesting, but also seems pretty flimsy. I would think by now someone would have designed a rolling laptop case that transforms into a sturdy work surface... :unsure:

🍻

-Eric

I have seen a folding table w/built in chair at Walmart or Target, thought about getting it at one point. Think it was around $20. Would be one of those "use and throw away" deals when the project is done.

@Paully - where I am working we have no floors, only grating. And, often the best place to put you laptop is on the floor, right next to anybody's feet. I use mine for other uses besides PLC, instrumentation programming at the top of ladders calls for a spare! A cheap one!

BTW, the email I got with the D620 (for $169!) was at pacificgeeks.com. Sadly, you need to upgrade it to make it better than a paperweight. Dell off lease has 410s thru 820s, mostly with Vista.

Saw an article on the new Microsoft tablet and it had rave reviews. Advantage is it can be used as a PC as well - may be worth a look when it is available.

I have used the new iPad for the last 2 startups. There are several RDP applications available, we're using iTap RDP. I leave my laptop running all Rockwell and Wonderware software in a safe location attached to the same wifi that my iPad can access. With the iPad in hand, I can walk around all the equipment and get up close to it. I can stroke valves and watch them open and close. I can spin motors and check rotation all by myself. That is your justification. A second tech is less likely to be required. A bonus is that it impresses the hell out of your customers.

One thing that is cool is that you can zoom way in on an iPad. I crawled under a tank to check and zero a level sensor. I had RSLogix displaying the analog input and zoomed in so the numbers filled the screen, 5" tall numbers! I then propped the iPad up on the floor 6 feet away and could easily watch the live readings.

Checking out instrumentation is faster and easier also. I can go directly to a flow transmitter with my iPad, place the xmtr in simulation mode, generate different 4-20mA outputs and read the PLC input directly on the iPad.

A lot of these things can be done with a laptop on the floor but it's just not as convenient. The iPad is compact and light. There is a huge battery advantage with the iPad also. Where you're lucky to get 2-3 hours out of a laptop battery, the iPad can go a full 10-12 hour shift with moderate use.

The negatives:
1. Wifi will not always be available and the plant may not allow you on it. Even if you bring your own, they may not let you attach it to their network or even power it up in their plant.

2. Program editing is not easy to do on the iPad. You are RDPing to your laptop with an iPad that only has a touchscreen for input. It is difficult to scroll and type. It really works as an HMI for your graphics and a viewer for RSLogix. You can do edits but it is not easy and is very time consuming. Go back to the laptop to do PLC edits.

3. The iPad doesn't have the horsepower to run your programs on its own. You still need your laptop but at least you can leave it setup in a safe and comfortable location.

The iPad is another tool to have in the box. It also provides entertainment on the plane and in the hotel.