compactlogix L31 with PV compact + 1000 , help for a newbie please ?

jarvo1

Hi,great site , good to see people taking the time to help others !

I am using a compact logix L31 plc , have used this plc before but have never installed a HMI terminal , consider myself very much a newbie in this area , I have wired a panelview + compact 1000 with my L31 via the RS232 connection (channel 1)

The plc project I have created in 5000 is simply n/o and n/c contacts with base tags which i want to be controlled by the PV + by way of maintained and momentry push buttons , pretty simple stuff :)banghead:

After writing both projects using 5000 and factory talk studio ME , I have the project working working fine on my PLC by testing using toggle bit .....I assume I have the communication working fine between my plc and pv+ as I have downloaded the application from my laptop to my pv+ via the plc fine .....however.......

when I load my application and begin to press buttons on my PV+ (touch screen) nothing happens back at the plc (no outputs are firing as a result of me pressing push buttons on te PV+).....

Tech support suggested loading a simple programme screen using only a number display ...tried this but the display only shows * in the number box irrelevant of the base tag value

just to note ...i have connected tags to my push buttons using the online tag file from the controller

Any ideas / help would be very appreciated , thank you

Posting the logix as well as the pv files would go a long way towards helping you

thanks for the replies guys , yep it turned out to be that simple.

I had copied the path from local to runtime , however , it seems I needed to then slightly alter the path's propeties once in the runtime tab .... needed to change the port from the one I was using from pc to controller to com port 1 in the runtime tab......only took 3 weeks of head banging arrive at that !

Is there much work for a programmer in the UK Mark ? aside from the communications problem my logic works great and I would say the projects ive completed are of a decent size of scope (food industry production lines) , still a novice but I do enjoy the work