Internal bell problem [alarm sound]

tarlazao

Hi, I'm having some problems to set an internal alarm bell for my FactoryTalk View SE application, any help will be appreciated.

first step, I set some alarms at alarm and event setup and configured them to seveity 1.

second step, on HMI Tag Alarms/Alarm Setup, Severities Tab, I checked Internal Bell for severity 1.

third step, Configured exclamation sound on windows (control Panel/sound and audio devices/ sounds tab/ program events field/ exclamation

I can see on the alarm banner that my alarm is "on" but there is no sound!

ps:speakers are on.

I appreciate any help.

Sory about my english.

André Tarlá

Internal Bell
Select this check box to have the HMI server computer's internal bell sound when an HMI tag alarm is triggered. The sound for the internal bell can come from the computer's speaker or from a sound card.

To set up a sound for the sound card, you must set up the Exclamation event in the Windows Control Panel, Sounds tab of the Sounds and Devices Properties dialog . When an alarms occurs, the sound is repeated about once per second until the alarm is acknowledged or silenced.

Now you have to do this for each severity.

Internal Bell
Select this check box to have the HMI server computer's internal bell sound when an HMI tag alarm is triggered. The sound for the internal bell can come from the computer's speaker or from a sound card.

To set up a sound for the sound card, you must set up the Exclamation event in the Windows Control Panel, Sounds tab of the Sounds and Devices Properties dialog . When an alarms occurs, the sound is repeated about once per second until the alarm is acknowledged or silenced.

Now you have to do this for each severity.

Thanks jkerekes,

I already did that (my second step) and NO success, do you have any other idea?

Must I creat each alarm as a tag and check alarm at HMI tags/Tags??

I assume that the exclamation sound works when tested in the control panel app. Are there some sort of speakers attached to the PC?

Yes, there is a internal speaker (like a notebook), and you are right sound is OK when tested on control panel app.

OK. I'm also assuming that you are using HMI alarms, not the Alarm & Event alarms. Have you tried stopping the alarming function and restarting it?

This point is a little bit confuse for me, I did exactly what I describle on my first post, so I think I configured Alarm & Events Alarms, are there ways to set internal bell using A&E?

I configured one HMI alarm for tests, but I dont know how to show it on a banner (like Alarm and Event Banner Design View)...

Don't worry some of this stuff is confusing for the rest of us too. I've done quite a few SE applications, but none so far using A&E server. The HMI alarms are sort of the legacy way of doing alarms. With HMI alarms, the HMI must contantly poll the tags to see if their in alarm. With A&E, you use the alarm instructions in the ControlLogix. This way the PLC "tells" the HMI that an alarm is occuring. Cuts down on the polling, and the alarms are synched across the system. So are you using A&E alarms or HMI alarms? You must add the A&E server to your SE project manually. Then you can configure it.

Thanks jkerekes, I got it...

I configured A&E server, and I already have the alarms on it. I tested the aplication and it is working and showing the alarms when ControlLogix is running... So, Im using A&E.

The point is, I still cannot configure the bell sound.

If the problem persists, I can try to configure alarms using HMI. (59 alarms)

Do you have an ideia of where should I configure internal bell?

Maybe someone can post who has more experience with A&E than me. In an upcoming project, I'm going to use A&E since it's new. A&E alarms and HMI alarms are TWO different things. I wouldn't think you would use then at the same time. So configuring the bell to ring in the HMI alarming setup won't do anything for you if you use A&E alarming. I'm not sure where the internal bell is configured in A&E alarming.

Last edited:
Ok, I realy apreciate your help. It makes my mind less confuse!

Could you help me, still talking about alarms, on how can I configure and what kind of banner to show my HMI alarms (if I decide to use HMI alarms).

I found the palce to active alarm sound for Alarm&Event, just doubleclik your alarm and event baner then go to states tab and check Sound box

;)

Great! I'm glad you figured it out. I sent up a A&E server on my testing SE machine and found that too. I was a little confused on which alarm system you were using. As I said, my next SE project will usr A&E alarming. then I will be asking you the questions! :ROFLMAO:

Great! I'm glad you figured it out. I sent up a A&E server on my testing SE machine and found that too. I was a little confused on which alarm system you were using. As I said, my next SE project will usr A&E alarming. then I will be asking you the questions! :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:

I hope I can help you too!

Now my headache is configure the database... let's go!

:unsure: