Thinking of getting PLC training?

plcinterest

Boy I'm glad I found this website. I am currently in an "Electronics technician" program, and I have roughly 3 months to go. I really, really love this course, I have found it infinitely interesting. I was told getting PLC training to go along with the ET training is a really good idea. I was told it helps with gaining employment, staying employed, and getting a better wage. I'm looking at Thomas Edison state colleges PLC program. Any thoughts on their program? I am also a bit weary of getting PLC training, is it really hard to get, understand and ultimately master? I just don't want to get in over my head here. Thanks for any help, I will appreciate any.

Stop worrying so much about getting in over your head. In your future work, you will be in over your head many many times, up to your butt in deep water with aligators all around. Get used to it, and take the course, learn what you can. It will not harm you to be exposed to things that you cannot do the first time. Learning how to learn should be your goal - learning how to find information to solve a problem that you now know nothing about. Once you learn how to learn, you can learn almost anything and solve any programming problem.

Thanks for the help and the pep talk. I really, really want the training so I probably will get into it. Its very interesting to me and I heard it really pushes up your earning potential. Thanks again, anyone else have any info/advice?

Don't become like some who can't learn unless there's a website or a video. Grab every book associated with the PLCs you will be using and read them. Read about every instruction, even if you think you'll never use it. And return here for help. If you are still in the learning phase we'll give hints. If facing the alligators on the shop floor we'll do our best to help find an answer. Good luck.

Don't become like some who can't learn unless there's a website or a video. Grab every book associated with the PLCs you will be using and read them. Read about every instruction, even if you think you'll never use it. And return here for help. If you are still in the learning phase we'll give hints. If facing the alligators on the shop floor we'll do our best to help find an answer. Good luck.

Thanks, are you saying i don't need "formal" training? Just buy a few books on PLC's? Am I understanding you correctly? Thanks again for the info, and help.

Whether or not you need formal training depends a lot on you and what you've already done. If you already have a good understanding of the components that make up a machine's control system and how they work, then you won't need much more training than an overview of how to use the PLC's programming software and what kind of instructions are available to you.

On the other hand, if you don't know the difference between a proximity switch and a photocell or between a solenoid valve and a motor starter, then just learning about how to program a PLC won't be much help. You'll need exposure to the rest of the components of a control system.

No, the formal training will be good, but it won't be everything. In this field you'll have to keep reading ALL THE TIME to keep up with changes.

Though I didn't get 'formal training' at the start I had an electronics/computer/controls background which helped when a pile of books were tossed at me to program a PLC I'd never seen before. (About 1985)

Ok, thanks guys. I'm still a bit concerned about getting this training because I heard the subject is very tough to learn, but its interesting to me. I will most likely get the training but I'm a bit concerned. I want some other training other than the Electronics tech. training I'm getting. I want something in addition to the ET course.

I don't think it's tough to learn at all. As long as you have initiative and enthusiasm you can learn anything.

Things only become "difficult" to learn if you are not interested in the subject.

Take the course. You can always do your own learning alongside it. You'll get a lot out of the course and it looks better to an employer that you've taken an acredited course rather than just read some books and browsed a website (regardless of how dilligently you've done it).

If you are stuck with parts of the course then you can use this forum and I'm sure everyone will be only too happy to help get you over any hurdles you may come across but (I think) you'll be fine.

You sound enthusiastic and that is The most important thing.

;-)

I was in the same boat your in. I am an "Electronic Tech" that first ran into PLCs a few years ago. I was able to pick it up on my own, but i had a good background in computer programing and curcuit troble shooting already. I find it fun and a challange. Right now I am taking a course at George Brown college here in Canada to up grade my understanding of programing. I know alot, but there is still a lot I can learn.

Go for it.

dragolen, How is the George Brown PLC course, I received a nice big packet from them. The program looks extremely in-depth and well put together. Its $1,800 bucks which is a bit high I think unless its truly worth it. Thanks for the info.

Yes it is a bit high, but worth it. It is designed for some one with no experiance in PLC program. The first few lessons are on backgound and the steps leading up to PLCs. It then builds on this to give you a good knowlege of ladder logic. It leans a little bit to the AB controls, but I found the the information was useable on most controls. You do not have to pay the fee all at once. You can do it in installments. The first lesson is about $500.00, but this gives you the main program with all the moduals, and the first test. After that it is $80 for the test for each section. You work at you own rate and can finish as you can afford it. The great thing is that you have the program and all the training material as a referance after you are done. You can get your certificate or just use it as is. I've paid allot more for programs and courses that are not half as useful.

A boss once told a good maintenance is one willing to learn, and the best is one who never stops. I've been at this for 40 years and i'm still learning.

Thanks dragolen, I just talked to the George Brown college director or professor, Angelo. Nice guy, talks fast but they are impressive. The program is impressive. I have a real decision to make, Thomas Edison college or GB college. Its a tough one.