9300 Radkit Modem

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,
I have used the Allen Bradley 9300 Radkit PLC modem in the past. I know it works when I use one Radkit connected to my PC and another one connected to the PLC on the other end of the telephone line.
Now I'm trying it using only one Radkit connected to the PLC and using a USB external modem connected to my PC. The PC modem dials, I hear it making the usual noises after the Radkit replies, but on the PC side the process stops after the "Verifying user name and password..." window disappears, and I get the message "Disconnected. Error 628: The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed"

Do I need a dial in user and password with the Radkit? If so, I haven't found any reference to it in the documentation. I've tried with the user/password provided with the 9300 RADES, for example, with no success.
Have any of you made this kind of connection using a PC modem and a Radkit?

Thank you!

No answers means nobody has used a PC modem to communicate with a Radkit modem?
As I said, I know the communication works using two Radkits, one on each end.

I did PC modem to a Rad 9300, but it was 6-7 years ago and I just don't recall the details.

You maybe be confused, because the 9300 Rades (the Ethernet cousin of the serial 9300 Radkit) works that way.

Confused? Probably. The device I worked with was phone modem on one side, ethernet on the other. When I dialed it from a USB phone modem on the PC, it connected and I was able to browse the web server in the field device.

Confused? Probably. The device I worked with was phone modem on one side, ethernet on the other. When I dialed it from a USB phone modem on the PC, it connected and I was able to browse the web server in the field device.

Yeah, most probably it was a 9300 Rades.

IIRC we wen't through all this on this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=71529
last month and on post # 16 your issue ws resolved?

Looks like then you were using your pc to a 9300-RADES though correct?

As far as the modem part the 9300 RADKIT is the same. The only difference between the two is one is ethernet on the device side and the other is serial. You would dial into it the same way you did the RADES from your pc.

For a test try to connect to one of rockwell units and see if the problem is on your pc/modem end or on the RADKIT end.

Here is a link to the demo lines http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services/onlinephone/modems/dialin/demolines.html

For security purposes if I were you I would at leaast be using a modem with dial back capability and not direct dial in. In this day that is living dangerous if it is something that is always connected.

IIRC we wen't through all this on this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=71529
last month and on post # 16 your issue ws resolved?
Yes, it was solved.
Looks like then you were using your pc to a 9300-RADES though correct?
Correct.

As far as the modem part the 9300 RADKIT is the same. The only difference between the two is one is ethernet on the device side and the other is serial. You would dial into it the same way you did the RADES from your pc.
If so, which user/password should I use?

For a test try to connect to one of rockwell units and see if the problem is on your pc/modem end or on the RADKIT end.

Here is a link to the demo lines http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services/onlinephone/modems/dialin/demolines.html
I tried those lines and I didn't get a modem tone from them. It keeps calling. I also tried from a regular phone with the same results.
I tried the Windows Dialer and my PC modem dials to a test fax machine and gets fax tone. I don't think the problem is my PC modem.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I got it working.

I had everything set up properly but it turned out the old phone lines in my building were the problem.

I discovered this in a very silly way.

After trying nearly every parameter, I set my modem to pulse dial. This is stupid and doesn't change anything. But the static and noise on the line became extremely apparent between the long stings of pulses. I tried again from the phone jack directly next to our telecom closet and it worked.

Thank you