P&F Ethernet/IP Encoder and ControlLogix

rstech

Hi everyone,

I've been having trouble all day trying to establish communication between a P&F rotary encoder (EVM58-011IZROBN-1213) and a ControlLogix processor. I followed the instructions step by step but no luck. I was able to get the IP address set but the problem seems to be with setting up the module as a Generic Ethernet Device. The manual says to use Assembly Instance 3 with a size of 2, Assembly Instance 6 with no size, Assembly Instance 7, with a size of 12 and using a Comm Format of Input Data/DINT - Run/Program. When I do so the encoder shows faulted in RSLogix5000 with an error that reads "(Code 16#0022) An invalid reply was received. Reply service code does not match the requested service code." I'm not sure if this error refers to the Comm Format not being correct or the size of the assembly instances. Any thoughts?

I've been looking through the EDS file trying to get some clues as to what the configuration should be. Something I find interesting is in RSNetworx if I look at the properties of the module and go to connections received it shows Input Size 4 and Output Size 2. Do these values represent what is actually being transmitted and received? If so, does that mean my assembly instance of 7 above should have a size of 16 (4 words) instead of 12. Incidentally I tried that configuration as well and I got the same error.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Bernie. The manual in the link you provided appears to be slightly differnet than the manual I have, specifically those values! My manual is dated July, 2010 and the one you linked to is January, 2012. Unfortunately I tried the values from the manual you linked to and now I'm getting a connection timeout. I've got four of these encoders I'm trying to connect to and I have the same result with each of the 4. I've put a request in to P&F; hopefully they can tell me what is going on. The EDS file online is also out of date; its version 1 and the encoders are version 8. Do you know if there is a way to extract the EDS file out of the device?

I've seen where if RSLinx recognizes that it has the EDS internally it gave the option to upload and install. I don't know if thats a standard though.

Several phone calls and e-mails to P&F Tech Support in Ohio didn't solve the problem although they did send me the latest EDS files. I ended up messing around with all kinds of things and the whole issue was from the selection under the module properties "Use Unicast Connection over Ethernet/IP." Turned it off and everything worked just fine. Hopefully P&F adds that little tid bit to their manual.

P.S.
Bernie, the link to the manual you sent is the up-to-date manual to use.

I've been using this exact encoder and have been lucky enough not to have the Unicast Connection option turned on while configuring it. At any rate, I now have a note in my encoder files to watch for this issue. It’s little tid bits of information like this that are extremely valuable when your stuck on something that's not obvious.

Last edited:
Just hit reset

Had this same issue trying to connect to a sortation server for FedEx... I tried a ton of different things, including the Unicast solution above. Nothing worked. Until I hit "Reset Module" on the Module Info tab of the generic Enet module's properties window. Knowledgebase says to also check your RPI on the Connection tab and make sure it's set right. So yeah, anyone reading this post in the future, just hit "reset" ;)