G304K Trending issue

Old No. 7

I have a new application where I'm trying to use the trending on the Red Lion G304K. The trending works for about 4 minutes and then just stops. I only have 5 data points - three trending every 10 seconds and two trending every 5 seconds, so I should be able to get about 29 hours or so. The trends are set up as continuous sample with the log always enabled.

I've used the trending on the G310s before without any problems. Any ideas?

I sent the file to one of the guys at tech support yesterday. My understanding is that the 304K has 256k memory and based on 6 datapoints with an average of 8 second scan rate, I should get over a days worth of data, correct?

I sent the file to one of the guys at tech support yesterday. My understanding is that the 304K has 256k memory and based on 6 datapoints with an average of 8 second scan rate, I should get over a days worth of data, correct?

But you also must subtract the application memory size, and any other log file size, if I understand correctly, in a G304K. The Red Lion folks should be able to tell you more specifically how to calculate the total free memory available for the logs.

There is probably some way to tell how much memory is free in the system. Maybe some program you can run. It seems everytime I am doing a custom program I learn something new.

Good News/Bad News

The good news is that Red Lion was able to re-create the issue and says that it's a software bug.

The bad news is that they say it will be 16 weeks until they fix it.

I've become a pretty big Red Lion fan, but that's ridiculous. I guess I (and my customer) will have to live with a broken product until November.

Good News/Bad News

The good news is that Red Lion was able to re-create the issue and says that it's a software bug.

The bad news is that they say it will be 16 weeks until they fix it.

I've become a pretty big Red Lion fan, but that's ridiculous. I guess I (and my customer) will have to live with a broken product until November.

I just did some more research on this is actually working as designed. The kadet units have a limited buffer to use for the trend window. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy,

Now that the Kadets have been replaced (or soon will be) with the K2 Kadets and have 128MB internal memory vs. 2MB internal memory, I'm hoping this 5 minute limit will be removed (or at least expanded). Anything official yet?

Jeremy,

Now that the Kadets have been replaced (or soon will be) with the K2 Kadets and have 128MB internal memory vs. 2MB internal memory, I'm hoping this 5 minute limit will be removed (or at least expanded). Anything official yet?
Interesting. The new products have replaced the old Kadets on the website, but I see no sign of them being supported by Crimson 3.0 yet. I am running Build 493.001 and downloading 493.004 now, but the new stuff is not mentioned in the release notes either.

I guess we should expect another new build soon since you can apparently buy a G304K2 or G307K2 today.

My understanding is that the revised Crimson will be out late this week or early next week. You might be able to order one, but I don't think they will release them until they release the software.

I found the technotes that explain migration, and it looks pretty straightforward except for the serial port changes which may well jump up and bite someone. I have used the G304K and I love it, so I expect I will like it even more with 64 times the memory, and I only have one installation, so replacing cables is not a big deal for me.

http://www.redlion.net/Support/TechNotes/HumanMachineInterface/TNG3K4.pdf

Jeremy,

At time the limit is not being removed or increased. I am checking to see if this is something that can be changed or if it is a simply a limit of kadet series.

Interesting. The new products have replaced the old Kadets on the website, but I see no sign of them being supported by Crimson 3.0 yet. I am running Build 493.001 and downloading 493.004 now, but the new stuff is not mentioned in the release notes either.

I guess we should expect another new build soon since you can apparently buy a G304K2 or G307K2 today.

My understanding is that the revised Crimson will be out late this week or early next week. You might be able to order one, but I don't think they will release them until they release the software.

Yes you may purchase them now but they will not ship until the software is released.

At time the limit is not being removed or increased. I am checking to see if this is something that can be changed or if it is a simply a limit of kadet series.

I really hope Red Lion changes their stance on this one. I think the Kadet is a fantastic little product, but limiting the trending to 5 minutes makes the trending worthless (at least for us). I would be thrilled if we could just get a days worth of trending.